Squats Widen Midsection?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining.

I’m happy to have a strong base and to never have a sore lower back when doing squats, deads, and even good mornings.

I understand that many bodybuilders have squatted heavy and still have relativley small waists, but I also know of a lot of people who believe in squatting with their abs sucked in. They think it gives better support because their abs are tight. Plus there can be many other reasons that their midsections are smaller.

It’s just something I noticed and wanted to see if anyone else knows anything about it. I’ve been much fatter before and had a smaller waist.

Dave Gulledge. He’s squatted over 900 pounds.

I have to agree with this. A couple of years ago I switched to a powerlifting squat (wide stance, using the ole gut, etc) and doing alot more deadlifts. Now I can’t even “puff” out my stomach it just kinda hangs there. The point is when you are doing these core exercises heavy, of course your going to build more muscle around the truck core region. Where the “stomach pooch” really comes in is when your are carrying excessive bodyfat.

Basically if you do the core lifts heavy and hard it will create a larger, stronger abdominal region. While we all agree a big squat and a strong core are good things, it will magnify any additional bodyfat you are carrying (esp if your a guy and we tend to hold alot of fat in the belly). In other words (given the same relative body type, height, etc.) I think 20% bodyfat on a lifter who does heavy squats/deadlifts will have a much more pronounced gut than a frat boy at 20% bodyfat who plays B-ball and does curls in the squat rack.

The good thing about this for me is it really keeps me honest about my diet as if I start sliding it shows right away. It also gives me some extra incentive to work my shoulders (which I hate) to add to the V-taper illusion.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Dave Gulledge. He’s squatted over 900 pounds.[/quote]

Well Dave is a HOSS and I know he did powerlifting a long time before giving BB a try (wasn’t it an injury or accident?). He is a stronger than hell mutant for sure but did he squat the 900 before he got all ripped up or after ?

At any rate like I said earlier, I think you can have a small waist doing heavy squats and deads but any excessive bodyfat will be more pronounced (due to the thicker core region).

[quote]lothos wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:

Well Dave is a HOSS and I know he did powerlifting a long time before giving BB a try (wasn’t it an injury or accident?). He is a stronger than hell mutant for sure but did he squat the 900 before he got all ripped up or after ?

At any rate like I said earlier, I think you can have a small waist doing heavy squats and deads but any excessive bodyfat will be more pronounced (due to the thicker core region).[/quote]

He is still a powerlifter and I’m pretty sure he’s never been a bodybuilder.

Bear

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
lothos wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:

At any rate like I said earlier, I think you can have a small waist doing heavy squats and deads but any excessive bodyfat will be more pronounced (due to the thicker core region).

He is still a powerlifter and I’m pretty sure he’s never been a bodybuilder.

Bear[/quote]

Yea, I think one of his workout partners saw his picture in an article saying that he went from a powerlifter to a bodybuilder (just in the caption of the picture) and his training partner killed that rumor; he’s still a powerlifter.