T Nation

Squats vs. Leg Press for Development

In terms of leg development, are squats so much better than the leg press?

i wouldnt say so. its whatever you can use better.

i like using the leg press better than squats personally but some others might not.

its also a lot safer to go to failure on a legpress than a BB squat.

personally the Hammer Strength horizontal leg press is my favorite piece of leg equipment right now.

Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

[/quote]

A little harsh, but right.

Some people find the leg press easier to focus on different parts of the legs. And it’s definately safer to go to absolute failure. For those who have stronger legs than abs/lowerback, the leg press will also allow that person to still sufficiently stimulate the legs without being limited by the core (people like me).

I did squats and legpresses for 4 months and then I switched gyms. The 1 squat rack in the gym is usually occupied so I switched the the Hammer Strength Hack Squat and I’ve seen more quad development from the hacksquat and legpress than regular squat and legpress.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

[/quote]

I have a crazy idea too…why dont you put a dick in your mouth?

lol…

I think BOTH exercises are beneficial for leg development rather than one outweighing the other.

[quote]Addiction wrote:
I think BOTH exercises are beneficial for leg development rather than one outweighing the other. [/quote]

x2

I feel both are important and should be done in your quad/leg session

You will find most pro bodybuilders these days who favour the leg press over squats. That said, I think it’s fair to say most have used squats to build their foundation and have later ditched squats over leg presses. I say most pro BB’s, but guys like Ronnie Coleman and Branch Warren still incorporate heavy squats on leg days. I like to alternate between squats and leg presses.

[quote]Bwick wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

I have a crazy idea too…why dont you put a dick in your mouth?

lol…

[/quote]

Your original question belongs in the beginners forum, enough said.

do each one consistently for about a year each, then you will find out whats best for you. I personally like squats.

[quote]Bwick wrote:
In terms of leg development, are squats so much better than the leg press? [/quote]

forget your dumb question, more pics of your avatar please

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Bwick wrote:
In terms of leg development, are squats so much better than the leg press?

forget your dumb question, more pics of your avatar please[/quote]

I felt the need to share some Vida…

i thought that was her, but didn’t realize she had great cans too

Twenty plus years with the iron and I have never met a lifter with decent legs that didn’t Squat. I’m sure they’re out there(like lotto winners); but I never seen one up close & personal. The Leg Press is a very important station; but at some point-you gotta Squat.

And the second question belongs in the SAMA forum.
Answer him fully lol.

Lets give him some credit for making us remember Vida, though!

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Bwick wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

I have a crazy idea too…why dont you put a dick in your mouth?

lol…

Your original question belongs in the beginners forum, enough said. [/quote]

SQUAT…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

[/quote]

Hamburgers are made from beef, which is good and will make you strong. Hot dogs are made from god knows what, swept from the factory floor. So yes, hamburgers are better than hot dogs. I know that for me, squats are better than leg press. I find that for most people, the reason they like the leg press is vanity: it looks like a lot of weight.

Your point is valid, different people will get different results from the same movement, but i look at a loaded bar in the squat rack and I feel a rush. I’m afraid of it, and want to kill it before it kills me. Does anyone feel that way about a leg press?

[quote]Bwick wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

I have a crazy idea too…why dont you put a dick in your mouth?

lol…

[/quote]

I LOL’d

[quote]Bwick wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Are hamburgers better than hot dogs?

Or did you miss the fact that different people respond differently to certain movements.

OR! an even crazier idea just popped into my head…

Spend time doing each and find out for yourself.

I have a crazy idea too…why dont you put a dick in your mouth?

lol…

[/quote]

Quite a few people prefer leg presses for quad development. Also depends heavily on how you do your squats etc… Overall leg size in case you (for some funny reason) can only do one exercise for legs (which would be idiotic) I’d have to go with back squats.

If you want to bring your Deadlift or hamstrings up and do lots of SLDL’s and other heavy ham/posterior chain-work which involves the lower back, then doing leg presses instead of squats might be a good idea simply to keep your low-back from being pounded into oblivion…

This game needs either a damn lot of common sense and deductive reasoning to be successful at it, (and)/or requires you to be genetically gifted (ala max charles or paul dillet).

So posting such a question outside of the beginners forum seems a little funny.
A beginner may be lost at first and in that case it’s fine, but coming on here with that kind of question… About which we also have something like 20 threads already… And then getting pissed off because a guy included a little jibe at you in his answer…

Maybe you should pay some heed to what he said instead of writing some lame-ass comeback.

People don’t log on here just to obediently spoon-feed you.