T Nation

Squats, This is Bizzare.

Squatting has become the focal point of my workouts over the last month and a half and i love going hard on ASG anf really feeling the pain. But i’m a bit confused on something. Everytimr i squat, like 2 minutes after i finish i feel like i could barf my guts up all over the place. Then after 5 minutes this subsides, why is this?, then even more bizzare is, about 7-8 minutes after, i become very charged up like i could squat 1000lbs but at the same time, i feel like i could cry? my emotion seem to go a bit haywire ?lol…I’m a 19 year old happy guy but it’s very strange. And this ONLY happens after i squat. No matter how many sucicides, backboard touches ush ups etc i do on the court, i never feel this way after doing those. can someone explain.??

This is…kinda odd to say the least.

Squats are really demandin on the system, perhaps ure nervous system was just not meant to be workin that hard.

When u feel like u wanna cry, r u thinking about anything else? or just the squatting?

Perhaps ure not gettin enough sleep, that can make people really emotional…

Sounds like period time to me…

In all seroiusness, maybe your body isnt used to the toll a squat places on your nervous system.

I’d recommend a trip to Dr.Phil.

I’m thinking you just love your squats and you get worked up into a very high state of arousal when you do them.

As long as you don’t actually start weeping as you do them, I think you’ll be fine.

[quote]Easy E wrote:
Sounds like period time to me…

In all seroiusness, maybe your body isnt used to the toll a squat places on your nervous system.[/quote]

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
I’d recommend a trip to Dr.Phil.[/quote]

christ, i find it hard to believe anyone gets any advice on this forum at all sometimes

Nah, that’s not weird. Squats are a massive exertion. A good hard squat session can cause the release of hormones, neurotransmitters, and endorphins. My guess is that the “almost cry” is a purely chemical/neurological response to the exertion.

It is certainly not an emotional response, just physiological. But that can be a new clich?, “Squat 'til you cry!”.

[quote]Cymreig wrote:
christ, i find it hard to believe anyone gets any advice on this forum at all sometimes[/quote]

Hey, Sir brilliance himself, what constructive advice did you give the OP?

“Someone get this man a cranberry juice.” -The gayest male alive.

This is strange! My bet is that while your body is used to dynamic work and repetition work, it’s not used to maximal effort work. The heavy squats impart such a load to your body that your endocrine system responds by secreting various hormones that have you reacting this way. My bet is that it will subside as time goes on. I know many people who puke every time they do legs for a couple months until their bodies decide to accept the toll.

[quote]Lean_Athlete wrote:
Then after 5 minutes this subsides, why is this?, then even more bizzare is, about 7-8 minutes after, i become very charged up like i could squat 1000lbs but at the same time, i feel like i could cry? my emotion seem to go a bit haywire [/quote]

Not sure if this will help, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading this was … Did you know that many girls cry after having sex?

[quote]Cymreig wrote:
Easy E wrote:

In all seroiusness, maybe your body isnt used to the toll a squat places on your nervous system.

christ, i find it hard to believe anyone gets any advice on this forum at all sometimes[/quote]

Did you read the second part? Ok

It’s fine. Sometimes it takes upwards of 5 seconds just for my soul to reenter my body after I deadlift, so emotion swings aren’t too bad.

Thanks for replying guys, i didn’t expect that many responses because it’s probably the most bizzare thread ever posted on here. You guys definetley didn’t make me feel like an alien! like i expected lol.

I’m not very wll conditioned when it comes to maximal effort work. I’m a basketball player so most of my work done in the past is dynamic and repetition work like someones did say. Thanks again guys. At least i know i’m not losing the main in me…

“Squat till you cry” i like that…lol

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Lean_Athlete wrote:
Then after 5 minutes this subsides, why is this?, then even more bizzare is, about 7-8 minutes after, i become very charged up like i could squat 1000lbs but at the same time, i feel like i could cry? my emotion seem to go a bit haywire

Not sure if this will help, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading this was … Did you know that many girls cry after having sex? [/quote]

lol. Sucks to be you.

I have also heard that the nauseous feeling could be from the amount of lactic acid build up from working such a large group of muscles at once.

If your body isn’t used to it you may feel nauseous (or so I’ve heard).

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Lean_Athlete wrote:
Then after 5 minutes this subsides, why is this?, then even more bizzare is, about 7-8 minutes after, i become very charged up like i could squat 1000lbs but at the same time, i feel like i could cry? my emotion seem to go a bit haywire

Not sure if this will help, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading this was … Did you know that many girls cry after having sex? [/quote]

The Donkey Punch isn’t supposed to be that hard.

This has come up before and isn’t totally uncommon, especially in inexperienced lifters. You’ll get a long way toward over it if not completely over it in time.