Squats & Sumo Squats on Same Day?

I’m hoping to hear from some of the pros here. I want to incorporate squats (free weight) into my routine instead of the leg press. Righ now I do Sumo style squats on the Smith machine to hit my inner thigh and glutes. I also do stiff legged dead lifts on leg day.

I am thinking that I should alternate squats and Sumo style squats on different days because it might be too much to do both styles and the dead lift in one day.

Here’s a routine I had in mind:

Workout A:
SL dead lifts
Sumo squats
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Calves

Workout B:
SL dead lifts
Squats
Step lunges
? Maybe abductor/adductor supersets
Calves

Or should I do this on both days?:
SL dead lifts
Squats
Sumo squats
Lunges
Calves
This option I feel might make my legs too shaky to complete, particularly the lunges which are tough.

Your workout a and b option looks fine to me.

You could do them both in the same workout, but that might be a little too much volume unless you cut back on the number of sets you did for each exercise.

What is your work load like for each movement? You could make the last option work with alternating low volume work.

Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to stiff leg deads only?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
What is your work load like for each movement? You could make the last option work with alternating low volume work.

Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to stiff leg deads only? [/quote]

I usually do 1 warm up (12 reps) and three working sets (8 reps) going heavier on each one. Sometimes I’ll add a fourth set if I feel I can/should go heavier.

I started doing stiff legged DLs to concentrate on my glutes and hamstrings. I became good at them and love doing them so I continued.

A
Sumo Deadlift
Squat
Lunge
Calves

B
Sumo Squat
SLDL
Lunge
Calves

That’s the way I’d do it.

I just wanted to add that I don’t particularly like the adductor/ adductor exercises on workout B. They seem to waste too much energy on a small muscle group. I would like to replace them with something if I stick to A and B routines but I don’t know what.

Workout B:
SL dead lifts
Squats
Step lunges
Calves

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:
I just wanted to add that I don’t particularly like the adductor/ adductor exercises on workout B. They seem to waste too much energy on a small muscle group. I would like to replace them with something if I stick to A and B routines but I don’t know what.

Workout B:
SL dead lifts
Squats
Step lunges
Calves
[/quote]

Instead of abducttor/adductor do 45 degree step lunges instead. Same thing but much better.

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to stiff leg deads only?

I usually do 1 warm up (12 reps) and three working sets (8 reps) going heavier on each one. Sometimes I’ll add a fourth set if I feel I can/should go heavier.

I started doing stiff legged DLs to concentrate on my glutes and hamstrings. I became good at them and love doing them so I continued.

[/quote]

As long as you aren’t burning yourself out with that last set, I’d say go for it and evaluate after two weeks. If it’s too much you will find out very quickly.

If you like the stiff leg deads, good mornings are another excellent option to throw into your program if you are looking for some variety.

You could also try cable pull-throughs as an alternate glute/ham exercise.