T Nation

Squats Only Working One Butt Cheek

So i haven’t done squats or deadlifts for about a month. Then i get back into squatting. I was doing about 95kgs before i stopped doing em. Then when i started again i was doing about 90kgs for 6 or so reps. But the day after soreness starts to kick in and my right ass cheek has no pain whatsoever, but my left ass cheek hurts like hell. Now if i continue what i’m doing i rkn my ass will become lopsided.

FYI my right side is my dominant/stronger side for everything and my right hamstring is noticeably larger than my left hamstring.
Anyone that have had similar problems or have a solution to my problem would be awesome.

Did this happen only once or is it the same way week after week?

The obvious suggestion is doing some unilateral leg training - lunges, pistols etc. Always start with the weaker side and don’t do more reps with the stronger side than you can do with the weaker.

Very interesting. Usually when someone is experiencing pain in an isolated area is is because the body is trying to overcompensate for something.

It sounds like you may have some sort of muscle imbalance that is causing the left side of your body to work harder than the right. That’s the first thing that came to my mind.

Watch your form in the mirror while squatting, do you notice any differences (leaning to one side or the other), etc?

The best bet is to do some extra work on your left side so as to create more of a balance (lunges, leg press, extensions, leg curls)…anything to build up the strength on your left leg to match the right.

You said that you can visibly notice a difference in size…not only is this esthetically not pleasing, it’s causing a physical strain on certain muscle groups - which is definitely not ideal.

Hope this helped a bit.

There have been some articles on here about gluteal amnesia. I don’t know if it can happen on only one side, but you may want to try some glute activation work. Also, check your mobility on each side. If you have a mobility imbalance, it might inhibit one side from firing properly. (Although I’m definitely no expert, so take with a grain of salt)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

lol@piriformis syndrome!!

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
Did this happen only once or is it the same way week after week?

The obvious suggestion is doing some unilateral leg training - lunges, pistols etc. Always start with the weaker side and don’t do more reps with the stronger side than you can do with the weaker.[/quote]

It’s happened every single time ever since i stopped. I’ll try doing more unilateral leg training. Thx.

[quote]nidu22 wrote:
Very interesting. Usually when someone is experiencing pain in an isolated area is is because the body is trying to overcompensate for something.

It sounds like you may have some sort of muscle imbalance that is causing the left side of your body to work harder than the right. That’s the first thing that came to my mind.

Watch your form in the mirror while squatting, do you notice any differences (leaning to one side or the other), etc?

The best bet is to do some extra work on your left side so as to create more of a balance (lunges, leg press, extensions, leg curls)…anything to build up the strength on your left leg to match the right.

You said that you can visibly notice a difference in size…not only is this esthetically not pleasing, it’s causing a physical strain on certain muscle groups - which is definitely not ideal.

Hope this helped a bit.[/quote]

Yes i do recall when i do squats i usually try to push harder from my left leg because for some reason when i don’t focus more on my left leg, my right quad does all the work and my left quad feels like it hasn’t done anything.
Also, i feel this tight pain in my left leg the part near the hip when i do leg extensions(i use the unilateral machine).
Next time i do squats i’ll look at myself in the mirror while squatting.
thx for your help.

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
There have been some articles on here about gluteal amnesia. I don’t know if it can happen on only one side, but you may want to try some glute activation work. Also, check your mobility on each side. If you have a mobility imbalance, it might inhibit one side from firing properly. (Although I’m definitely no expert, so take with a grain of salt)[/quote]

Hey nah i don’t think i have gluteal amnesia or maybe i have it on one side. But before i stopped squatting i had the awesome pains in both my quads as well as my ass i couldn’t walk for 2 days after. Also i noticed when i do deadlifts or romanian deadlifts, my right hamstring gets more pain compared to my left.

[quote]un33q wrote:

Hey nah i don’t think i have gluteal amnesia
[/quote]

Maybe your glute forgot it had amnesia…

Seriously though…is you back bothering you at all? I’m not an expert, but I was just recently diagnosed with sciatica…my right leg is in kinda a lot of pain due to my spine sending pain signals through it…why I’m telling you this is because before I went to the doctor, I was doing some squats and I was unconsciously shifting my weight to my left leg, because my right leg was hurt…only took me about 3 reps before I consciously realized something was wrong…but…maybe you have the beginnings of a problem…

Widen your stance.

Fer cripes sakes people.

LOL @ a lopsided bum. Sorry, but that just sounds funny.

There has to be some discrepency in your flexibility from side to side. I would guess glutes and hamstrings are tighter on the side you feel less, since you cant really get into a position to hit them and make them sore.

Or it could be the other way around and you could be tighter on the side you have more soreness in and you are getting more soreness because your glute is unaccustomed to being stretched to the point it is during squats.

Do a few glute stretches and you should see a larg discrepency side to side.