T Nation

Squats: Narrow or Wide Stance

A narrow grip puts more stress on the knees while a wide stance puts more stress on the back, so which type of squats is more optimal for general health? Or is my assumption about narrow and wide stance squats wrong?

I use a slightly wider then shoulder width stance, toes pointing at a slight outward angle. This allows for the deepest possible squat FOR ME. What is optimal for you? That is something you will have to figure out.

same with me, slightly wider than shoulder stance with my feet pointing about 20-30 degrees outward

i do alot wider than shoulder wifth for powerlifting squats that are just to parrallel for ATG i use just out side shoulderiwdth

Do both unless you’re specializing. Narrow stance puts more stress on the quads. Wide brings in the posterior chain and hip flexors. I often warm up by widening my stance by an inch on every rep. It’s a nice stretch technique.

[quote]bignate wrote:
i do alot wider than shoulder wifth for powerlifting squats that are just to parrallel for ATG i use just out side shoulderiwdth
[/quote]

Same here. I usually use narrow stance for front squats, but sometimes for back squats as well.

I use a pretty close stance. My heels are probably less than 1.5 feet apart at my strongest.

I’m also hammy dominant, but I do a lot of box squatting.

Thanks guys, I actually utilize a similar technique when going atg ( outside of shoulder width with knees pointed outwards by 30degrees)

P.S. Zephead4747 since your display pic is converse chucks, I assume you know some stuff about it. Which converse would you recommend, high top or low top? and whats the difference between those two?

Like the others, I squate with my feet just outside shoulder width apart, with my toes pointing slightly out.
I have noticed that taller people often need a wider stance than shorter people.

Taller people, because of their longer legs, are forced to bend more at the hips to maintain their centre of balance. Using a wider stances allows them to keep their upper body more upright.
As someone already said, the stance you use should vary depending on your goals for that exercise. If your trying to improve the size of your quads, keep it preety narrow, if your trying to utilise your glutes and hamstrings, use a wide stance.
If your just looking to put your squat weight up, use the stance that you are strongest in or which is mst relevant for your sport.

IS there a write up on the squat feet width.

Sounds useful to vary foot placement and width to focus strength and development on different muscle’s.

It sounds like in short - wider or powerlifting style is posteriour chain IE: glutes/low back and narry is quads.

I like to squat slightly narrow, toes pointing slightly outward. I squat ATG, though

It may also depend on your style, quad/ham dominant, etc. Personally, I have to go a good amount past shoulder width with toes pointed outward to get fully parallel due to ankle flexibility. Either that, or put weights under my heels, which I’d prefer not to do.
Feel it out, and let your body decide your groove(with proper form of course.) And then if you want to stress quad, hams, back, etc you can occasionally work with different stances later on down the road.

You’ll figure it out. Once you start using heavy weight and your feet are too far in or too far out, you’ll feel it be uncomfortable in your hips. This will let you know how you should adjust your stance.

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Thanks guys, I actually utilize a similar technique when going atg ( outside of shoulder width with knees pointed outwards by 30degrees)

P.S. Zephead4747 since your display pic is converse chucks, I assume you know some stuff about it. Which converse would you recommend, high top or low top? and whats the difference between those two?[/quote]

not a whole lot of difference. Most of the time people use high tops because they have more stability IMO. Other then that not much.

I love my black high tops.