Squats n' Milk/Massive Eating

I’m planning to start the Squats and Milk program and I was planning to follow the massive eating plan my Dr. JB. The squats program says that I should drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day to get lost of calories but the problem is whole milk has lots of fat and carbs. And according to JB, I should avoid this kind of meal, so now should I just move on to fat free milk? or is it okay for milk?
Thanks

You really can’t follow two opposing diet schemes. JB’s reccommendations about milk is to leave it to the 3 hr Post Workout period where your body handles carbohydrates the best. Good luck drinking a gallon of milk in 3 hours ;)…maybe you could try Hood’s low carb milk?

I followed the 20-rep Squat program and used skim milk. It worked fine. I gained a substantial amount of mass in a very short time.

[quote]tito wrote:
I’m planning to start the Squats and Milk program and I was planning to follow the massive eating plan my Dr. JB. The squats program says that I should drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day to get lost of calories but the problem is whole milk has lots of fat and carbs. And according to JB, I should avoid this kind of meal, so now should I just move on to fat free milk? or is it okay for milk?
Thanks[/quote]

I think you pretty much answered your own question. The point of the gallon of whole milk is for the calories (and some would argue the positive effects of saturated fat on natural test). It’s not like the milk is a magic potion that is absolutely necessary for squats to work. Perry probably just recommended it because he knew it was easier for people to drink a lot than eat a lot.

If you’re getting sufficient calories from ME anyway, the gallon of milk isn’t going to change much one way or the other, provided you’re getting enough saturated fat as well. I think the bottom line here is, you’re trying to mix two programs that are vastly different. JB is not a fan of milk, but if you like it and it works for you then use it. Worrying too much about the details of staying “true to the program” with two different protocols is a waste of time.

[quote]CC wrote:

I think you pretty much answered your own question. The point of the gallon of whole milk is for the calories (and some would argue the positive effects of saturated fat on natural test). It’s not like the milk is a magic potion that is absolutely necessary for squats to work. Perry probably just recommended it because he knew it was easier for people to drink a lot than eat a lot.

If you’re getting sufficient calories from ME anyway, the gallon of milk isn’t going to change much one way or the other, provided you’re getting enough saturated fat as well. I think the bottom line here is, you’re trying to mix two programs that are vastly different. JB is not a fan of milk, but if you like it and it works for you then use it. Worrying too much about the details of staying “true to the program” with two different protocols is a waste of time.
[/quote]

I see, I think I’ll just stick to skim milk with lots and lots of good food. I guess that should do it.
Thanks guys

[quote]tito wrote:
the problem is whole milk has lots of fat and carbs. [/quote]

This is a problem? I hate to break this to you, but people were building muscle just fine long before JB wrote an article. I think eating that way may benefit SOME people SOME of the time, but for beginners to be building their entire training philosophy around it is ridiculous. Keep it simple. No one ever needed a PhD just to get built.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
tito wrote:
the problem is whole milk has lots of fat and carbs.

This is a problem? I hate to break this to you, but people were building muscle just fine long before JB wrote an article. I think eating that way may benefit SOME people SOME of the time, but for beginners to be building their entire training philosophy around it is ridiculous. Keep it simple. No one ever needed a PhD just to get built.[/quote]

No they weren’t you liar. Why would you make up a lie like that.

Prof X:
(or anyone else who wants to chime in)

Do you think that adding a gallon of milk into a bulking diet is a good idea? Or is that a little excessive?

I personally think it is a good idea, especially for hardgainers. Its an easy way to up your calories without much trouble (or $).

[quote]MurrDawg wrote:
Prof X:

Do you think that adding a gallon of milk into a bulking diet is a good idea? Or is that a little excessive?

I personally think it is a good idea, especially for hardgainers. Its an easy way to up your calories without much trouble (or $).
[/quote]

I hate the word “hardgainer”. Most of the people claiming they are one…aren’t. Needing more calories than average to gain weight does not make anyone a hard gainer. It simply means you need more calories. If you have a fast metabolism, like many of these beanpoles do, then there is nothing wrong with drinking more calories especially in the form of milk. Why would a skinny kid with a fast metabolism avoid whole milk? Why are kids afraid to eat today?

[quote]MurrDawg wrote:

[/quote]

Unless you’re lactose intolerant like I am and have to buy lactaid. That shit is damn expensive. I get a half gallon of skim for about $3.00. If I drank a gallon a day (I really wish I could), that’s almost 42 dollars a week spent on milk.

[quote]MurrDawg wrote:
Prof X:

[/quote]

one gallon of milk is about $2.50 (around here). So thats 17.50 a week. A gallon of skim milk has about 130 g of protein. So thats 1120 g protein a week. That makes milk come to $.015 / g protein.
A 2 pound jug of whey from wallmart has 640 g protein for around $12 (I think thats what I paid for it).
This makes whey protein cost $.018 / gram of protein.
If you need the carbs (~176g/g) anyway then milk is cheaper (around where I live). Personally I don’t want that many carbs cause I’m not bulking though so I wouldn’t try it.

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
MurrDawg wrote:

Unless you’re lactose intolerant like I am and have to buy lactaid. That shit is damn expensive. I get a half gallon of skim for about $3.00. If I drank a gallon a day (I really wish I could), that’s almost 42 dollars a week spent on milk.
[/quote]

Damn man, that is expensive!

Im thinking about doing it myself… Im just starting a bulk right now, and I think the gallon of milk a day might be a good way to add some calories easier.

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
MurrDawg wrote:

[/quote]

The lactaid pills are cheaper. The generic brand is even cheaper at Target. I am lactose intolerant also. That never stopped me. Most people can tolerate small amounts of regular milk even if they are intolerant. I can drink up to 8oz with no problems.

I don’t know why people act like no one has ever had that problem before. With 95% of Asian Americans and over 60% of African Americans lactose intolerant, obviously there are ways around it.

I hate the word “hardgainer”. Most of the people claiming they are one…aren’t. Needing more calories than average to gain weight does not make anyone a hard gainer. It simply means you need more calories. If you have a fast metabolism, like many of these beanpoles do, then there is nothing wrong with drinking more calories especially in the form of milk. Why would a skinny kid with a fast metabolism avoid whole milk? Why are kids afraid to eat today?[/quote]

This is a problem? I hate to break this to you, but people were building muscle just fine long before JB wrote an article. I think eating that way may benefit SOME people SOME of the time, but for beginners to be building their entire training philosophy around it is ridiculous. Keep it simple. No one ever needed a PhD just to get built.[/quote]

Not trying to kiss ass here but this is some of the most common sense advice I’ve seen yet. If you want to make building muscle into rocket science, go ahead. Or keep it simple, work hard and screw the details!

(Good work X)