T Nation

Squats: Legs Dipping In

just need soem advice, whenever i squat my knee's seem to bend inwards, i know this is a sign of weekness, but it is even evident on lighter lifts to, could it be my stance or just serious lack of leg training,or possibly since i more so focused on upper body for the first year of training?

any in put would be awsome.

The neanderthal article series addresses some of these things. Give it a look.

you have a weak butt. learn to fire the glutes, strengthen them, and you will be fine

Lighten the weight up and concentrate on pushing your knees out (even though they should be straight ahead). WHen you have the form down, slowly add weight.

You'll be squatting your prev PB with good form in no time.

Dave Tate talked about this at the Tate/Defranco seminar. He said to sit on a low box (maybe 4 inches off the ground), wrap a band around your knees and do sets of 10-15 reps bringing your knees apart. Hold at the peak contraction for 4 seconds.

You could also have tight muscles (primarily inner thighs) and like you mentioned your stance might be wrong for you. I have long legs and do best with a very wide stance. If you have shorter legs then try bringing in your feet and see how that feels.

What you have is a weakness of your gluteus medius muscle. This muscle when properly strengthened will prevent the femur from internally rotating ie. keep your knees from buckling inward. The above poster got it right. You can also isolate each glut. med. by taking the band and putting it around your knees and then lying down on your left or right side with your knees flexed at about 90 degrees and your hips flexed to 45 degrees (think almost fetal position). Keep your top foot in contact with the bottom foot and then spread (or lift) your top knee away from the knee on the table. Depending on the strength of the band you can do anywhere from 3x10 to 4x20. on each side. In addition, if your gym has a 4-way hip machine it wouldn't hurt to add some hip extension and abduction work in as well.

Good Luck!!

Sounds as if you need to strengthen your adductors. If you don't have access to a machine, you can use wide stance squats using lighter weight for a couple of sets after your work sets or a couple of sets of 20 of adductor machine work.

There is nothing wrong with his adductor strength. This is an issue of ABDductor weakness.

Best advice on here. Don't be afraid to take some weight off until your form is correct and in a few short weeks or couple of months you'll be well past your current PB.

There appears to be several weaknesses and overactivity in the lumbar-hip-knee-ankle complexes.

1. Adductors
2. Semitendinosus, Semimembranosus
3. Illiacus
4. IT Band
5. Medial Gastrocnemius, Soleus
6. Peroneus
7. Posterior Tibialis

1. Glute Medius, Minimus
2. Piriformis
3. TFL
4. Bicep Femoris, long head
5. VMO
6. Satorius

Search T-Nation for articles on strengthening your weaknesses and flexibility methods for the tight areas.
You may also seek a physical therapist who can give you a R.O.M. test of the aforementioned joints to verify these areas to be impacted by muscle imbalances.

Cheers Big Adam!

Sometimes I think ppl overthink stuff... as bruce lee said "just kick faster".

You can determine weaknesses or try this first. This is how I teach my youth athletes.

Set your feet (either parallel or toes slightly out)
In-steps off floor (roll to outside of foot)
Hips back
Eyes forward

That is the set-up, now:
First motion is back
Knees out
Sit back on your heels

That's it!! Try it with minimal load, then progress from there. Hope that helps!!

thanks everyone, will definatly try some of your idea's.

i have a pretty strong upper body, i can bench 285 which is as much as i can squat which is sad. so im going to go ahead and really strive for perfect legs
thanks again.