Squats Hurt Shoulders, Trap Bar?

See if you can find anything on MobilityWod. that will help your shoulders - there are lots of great free videos on that site.

[quote]OrangeWolverine wrote:
I can’t do traditional squats because it hurts my shoulders to have them pinned up on the bar like that (I have bad shoulders). I’ve always done squats on the smith machine because of this. Anyone do trap bar squats? I’m thinking about switching from smith machine squats to trap bar squats. [/quote]

yes,I own a trap,used it for long time (now I use a sledge to train legs),it is a squat pattern movement,very close to front squat,very friendly with lower back=all quads…

Has anyone tried squating with a trap bar, but holding it like you would an OHP?

@ OP, If the front squat hurts your shoudler it might be a matter of bar placement. I have to get the bar basically pressing against my throat (as high on the shoudlers as possible) or my right shoudler hurts.

[quote]buzza wrote:

I can’t do traditional squats because it hurts my shoulders to have them pinned up on the bar like that (I have bad shoulders). I’ve always done squats on the smith machine because of this. Anyone do trap bar squats? I’m thinking about switching from smith machine squats to trap bar squats. [/quote]

yes,I own a trap,used it for long time (now I use a sledge to train legs),it is a squat pattern movement,very close to front squat,very friendly with lower back=all quads…[/quote]
buzza whats a sledge? can you explain,thanks.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Look into a cambered bar, or safety squat bar.[/quote]
This. Or find a rack/monolift or something where you can take your hands out to the collars. Stan Efferding and Big Ernie only have 2 fingers on the bar itself all the way out at the collar.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I appreciate it.

Oddly enough my shoulders don’t hold me back from doing any other movements. There is pain, but it is more than manageable. For some reason they just don’t like squats.

I will ask again, who have you seen for it and what diagnostics have they done?

Derek,

I went to the best ortho shoulder doc in Nashville. He specializes in shoulders. They did an x-ray and determined that there was no structural damage. He also examined it and put me in all sorts of funky positions to see if there was pain. I was pain free in all the movements, so he determined that it was inflammation. Both shoulders give me issues, so the likelihood of it being anything other than inflammation is low.

Derek,

I went to the best ortho shoulder doc in Nashville. He specializes in shoulders. They did an x-ray and determined that there was no structural damage. He also examined it and put me in all sorts of funky positions to see if there was pain. I was pain free in all the movements, so he determined that it was inflammation. Both shoulders give me issues, so the likelihood of it being anything other than inflammation is low.[/quote]

Cool thanks for answering. The wife is a Practitioner who works with an ortho who specializes in shoulders here in Houston.

What are you doing for mobility and shoulder health?

As an old fucker with bad shoulders from benching and squatting for years I really wish I had done this in younger life.

Have you tried the pussy pad? I used get migraines for some reason when the bar was on my shoulders but not since using the pad. We didn’t have the same issue but if you haven’t tried the pad, I’d do that first before anything else.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Derek,

I went to the best ortho shoulder doc in Nashville. He specializes in shoulders. They did an x-ray and determined that there was no structural damage. He also examined it and put me in all sorts of funky positions to see if there was pain. I was pain free in all the movements, so he determined that it was inflammation. Both shoulders give me issues, so the likelihood of it being anything other than inflammation is low.[/quote]

Cool thanks for answering. The wife is a Practitioner who works with an ortho who specializes in shoulders here in Houston.

As an old fucker with bad shoulders from benching and squatting for years I really wish I had done this in younger life. [/quote]

No, I should. Do you have a link?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Derek,

As an old fucker with bad shoulders from benching and squatting for years I really wish I had done this in younger life. [/quote]

No, I should. Do you have a link?[/quote]

Good luck, it has taken me over a year to get where I do not have constant shoulder pain.

I can now actually do Klokov presses and Overhead Squat.

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

yes,I own a trap,used it for long time (now I use a sledge to train legs),it is a squat pattern movement,very close to front squat,very friendly with lower back=all quads…[/quote]
buzza whats a sledge? can you explain,thanks.[/quote]

JP,
sorry,just my old pallets,sometimes I call it “sledge”…

That’s pretty badass, buzza!

OP, do you have access to a safety squat bar?

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

JP,
sorry,just my old pallets,sometimes I call it “sledge”…[/quote]
Haha,got ya buzza.And ya sled drags have become a staple for me.They don’t get enough credit for leg growth i believe.

[quote]hastalles wrote:
That’s pretty badass, buzza!

[/quote]

thanx man,after 100yds(ish) of this my hamms/ass is done,then I lower amount of plates and do some “pumping work”= me dead LOL

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

JP,
Haha,got ya buzza.And ya sled drags have become a staple for me.They don’t get enough credit for leg growth i believe.[/quote]

I agree,just WENDLER appreciate it,have to say I was sceptical too before using it and I was hooked, my quads got new growth from it,my hammies too,so it works,I use it just like a barbell; pyramiding up to a “top” set then “pumping work” with less plates and longer TUL,very EASY on knees&hips too :slight_smile:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

JP,

Pretty badass and clever!

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

JP,

Pretty badass and clever![/quote]

thanx man, Always liked paleo-gym LOL

OP, I’m a bit confused - how come you can do smith machine squats but can’t do normal squats? Surely the bar placement is pretty much the same?