T Nation

Squats Hurt Shoulders, Trap Bar?

I can’t do traditional squats because it hurts my shoulders to have them pinned up on the bar like that (I have bad shoulders). I’ve always done squats on the smith machine because of this. Anyone do trap bar squats? I’m thinking about switching from smith machine squats to trap bar squats.

Have you tried varying bar and hand placement? I’ve found high bar sqauts with hands as close in as possible help my shoulders.

Thanks for the response. I haven’t messed around with hand positioning too much since it hurt so bad to put my shoulders in that position.

Look into a cambered bar, or safety squat bar.

front squats

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
front squats[/quote]

I was gonna suggest front squats as well, but my shoulder tends to hurt more so on these. OP I’d still give them a shot though.

You could even switch to single leg squating using split squats for example.

Yeah, front squats hurts my shoulders even worse.

you need to fix your shoulders man

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
you need to fix your shoulders man[/quote]

I know. I’ve been to a few different doctors. It seems to just be inflammation, but even after giving them extensive rest the pain comes right back. I’ve been able to stay in the gym by modifying though, and they haven’t held me back from making some good gains. Squats just really put them in a bad position though. I do smith machine squats, leg press, leg extension/curl, and calf raises.

If you hold the weight in your hands, you will soon find yourself doing a deadlift!

[quote]OrangeWolverine wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I know. I’ve been to a few different doctors. It seems to just be inflammation, but even after giving them extensive rest the pain comes right back. I’ve been able to stay in the gym by modifying though, and they haven’t held me back from making some good gains. Squats just really put them in a bad position though. I do smith machine squats, leg press, leg extension/curl, and calf raises.[/quote]

Seems like you are doing the best you can with your situation! If you have access to one, I highly recommend and athletic therapist.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I know. I’ve been to a few different doctors. It seems to just be inflammation, but even after giving them extensive rest the pain comes right back. I’ve been able to stay in the gym by modifying though, and they haven’t held me back from making some good gains. Squats just really put them in a bad position though. I do smith machine squats, leg press, leg extension/curl, and calf raises.[/quote]

rest is all well and good, but you actually need to fix the imbalances that are giving you problems.

Seriously man, go see a good physio. It’s the sort of shit that’ll just keep getting worse.

[quote]setto222 wrote:
If you hold the weight in your hands, you will soon find yourself doing a deadlift!

Right, that’s what I don’t want. I figured using the trap bar as a way to squat would be more like a deadlift than a squat. I’m looking for something on leg day not back day.

I would give single leg work a try

[quote]setto222 wrote:

Right, that’s what I don’t want. I figured using the trap bar as a way to squat would be more like a deadlift than a squat. I’m looking for something on leg day not back day.[/quote]

Meh, I’ve always found the deadlift to be eerily similar to the squat in terms of muscles used (give or take an erector and a glut or two haha). If you really want to further blur the line between a dead and a squat you can try to do a trap deadlift from a large deficit and keep your chest up!

just my 2c

Using the trap bar off of a deficit, and keeping your chest up really shifts the emphasis to the quads.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
Using the trap bar off of a deficit, and keeping your chest up really shifts the emphasis to the quads.[/quote]

Oh sure, but we can’t really re-invent the wheel here. There is a reason people often say that there is no substitute for the squat.

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
Using the trap bar off of a deficit, and keeping your chest up really shifts the emphasis to the quads.[/quote]

Oh sure, but we can’t really re-invent the wheel here. There is a reason people often say that there is no substitute for the squat. [/quote]

Agree, but if he has to do something that is not a squat…heavy trap bar off a deficit is not a bad choice.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

What kind of doctors? How did they diagnosis inflammation?

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Oh sure, but we can’t really re-invent the wheel here. There is a reason people often say that there is no substitute for the squat. [/quote]

Agree, but if he has to do something that is not a squat…heavy trap bar off a deficit is not a bad choice.[/quote]

Or super wide grip deadlifts with a narrow stance, possibly from a deficit. But definitely keep look into getting shoulders fixed, I imagine that’s holding you back from a LOT of other aspects of lifting as well.