T Nation

Squats Good for Chest??

I recently read somewhere that squats are good for the chest too.

As my bullshit alarm went off reading this, I thought it was just some hooey to make sure people do squats instead of copping out.

Or is it true? If so, can someone tell me how in the world squats can help someones pec development?

They don’t directly work the chest, but squats cause growth throughout the entire body because they work so much musculature. If you’re not squatting, you’re not realizing your growth potential. Who cares if it “works” the chest-it works so much else it doesnt even matter.

This is killer BS.

Sqats are good for everything. No it does not hit the chest directely, like a bench press, but as your strive to stablize the bar through out the movement there is some chest recruitment. Squats are fun, do them often.

For the record, I indeed do squats.

When I read that, well, let’s say it got me curious as to how in the world it could be true.

Forget the squats for a big chest its all about pin pulls.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/magic_pin_pull.htm

The spinal loading that occurs in heavy squats can force the body into a “grow or die” protection mode that results in an increase in growth hormones. Those hormones affect the body as a whole so yes, basically squats are good for chest, arms, pinky strength, whatever.

Hence the old classic phrase:

“If you want big arms… Squat!”

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
The spinal loading that occurs in heavy squats can force the body into a “grow or die” protection mode that results in an increase in growth hormones. Those hormones affect the body as a whole so yes, basically squats are good for chest, arms, pinky strength, whatever.

Hence the old classic phrase:

“If you want big arms… Squat!”[/quote]

I thought you had to do curls in the squat rack for big arms. :wink:

I don’t know if squats are “good” for chest, but I now I’ve gotten a lot of tightness in my pecs after doing some heavy singles. It’s probably from pulling the bar into my back to keep it steady.