Squats for Boxers?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Not to interrupt you two but let me just leave this right here…

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/knee_pain.htm

The glute complex and some of the smaller hip external rotator muscles play a crucial part in maintaining knee alignment. Knee valgus and patellar maltracking are not caused by a weak VMO as we once thought. It is actually the inability of these hip muscles to prevent adduction and internal rotation of the femur.
[/quote]

Word son,thank you…Very good point.
this is what I have been led to believe from the better S&C types I have dealt with.
basically the back powers the front.

Ill go further with Xen’s earlier point, if your having problems changing levels,
you might have some mobility issues you might need to rectify.
in addition to your technique work some soft tissue and or some unilateral work might help.

no one can diagnose via the internet, but it is likely a mobility issue.

Pain is a strange phenomenon its not always directly related to the are it manifests in.

It might be that some basic mobility work , for your hips, coupled with some
foam and ball rolling would help.

Dont’ neglect rolling your feet with a golf ball, or a barbell, roll your peroneals and soleus
pay attention to your piriformis, as well as your Itband and inner thigh.

any one of those areas- being tight could be responsible for your pain and movement patterns.

kmc

[quote]admbaum wrote:
who’s whining you fucking dunce?

just agree to disagree and be done.

I think they are, all the trainers I’ve worked with agree, and a great majority of literature I’ve read on the subject has BW squats in their programming. You dont squat when you bob and weave do you?

Believe what you want Irish. Its easy to issue advise from your keyboard. Making all those posts leads one to believe you spend more time in front of your computer than you do out in the world training. Squatting helps strengthen the knees. EVERYONE except you knows that.

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/overusekneeinjuries/overusekneeinjuries.htm
[/quote]

You’re a fucking thickheaded moron. I’ve told you time and again that I do squats myself and don’t decry the use of them. But they’re not particularly relevant to THIS conversation, and to say they are ESSENTIAL to a fighter flies in the face of a hundred years of empirical knowledge. I don’t give two shits what your phantom trainers say.

And I know it’s hard to believe, but some of us have jobs where we’re at fucking computers, so it’s not that hard to write a 30 sec. post.

Now fuck yourself.

squats?

relevant to knee health?

relevant to boxing and general athleticism?

You dont give two shits yet compelled to debunk my suggestions?

Well cover me in tar and call me big bird, I stand corrected. What was I thinking?

OP:

glucosamine and chondroitin or put a bunch of shell fish in your diet…might help.

Time, effort and practice.

This should not be an issue if you have a good coach.

Thanks everyone. I do high rep/short rest weights 2-3x/week, I’ll add in a couple sets of BW squats when I do that and also continue to work on my form with my coach.

man, i just noticed your problem. when you duck down crouch your upper body down as well, that will make it much easier.

[quote]goldengloves wrote:
man, i just noticed your problem. when you duck down crouch your upper body down as well, that will make it much easier.[/quote]

Yeah, my coach keeps telling me I need to lean forward. With boxing it unfortunately takes me a LOT of repetition to pick up a new skill; I have to do it right so that I know what it FEELS like to do it right and then do it over and over until it feels natural. Just gotta keep busting ass I guess…

this post is old but im throwin my 2 cents in anyway…This could be a flexibility problem(not 100% sure), but if ur having problems ducking and the problem is at the hips, then it may very well be ur hip flexors. whnever athletes at the facility i train at have problems with depth in dead lifting, box squating, and squating, the strength coaches look to the hip flexors first.

more than half the time the hip flexors are the problem, and if its not that its usually a muscle imbalance(glutes, quads). hope this helps in anyway… doesnt hurt to check ur flexibility, espescially in the hip flexor area. alot of people are tight at the hips and dont know it. open up and strengthen those hip flexors and u will be faster too.