Squats = Evil

[quote]charbreath wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
link?

Someone that I know sent that to me in an e-mail.[/quote]

and for some reason you can’t copy and paste it here?

[quote]DPH wrote:
charbreath wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
link?

Someone that I know sent that to me in an e-mail.

and for some reason you cant copy and paste it here?[/quote]

I’m assuming that you’re referring to the e-mail. I did post it. That is what I asked what people thought of.

[quote]charbreath wrote:
DPH wrote:
charbreath wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
link?

Someone that I know sent that to me in an e-mail.

and for some reason you cant copy and paste it here?

I’m assuming that you’re referring to the e-mail. I did post it. That is what I asked what people thought of.[/quote]

ahh…

I’m slow, sorry…

anyhoo, can you give the name of the expert in question? does he site any reference material? because, quite honestly, this guy seems like he’s full of shit (at least from the information that you’ve provided)…

a point or two:

1. the bar does not rest on my neck (who the hell squats with the bar on their neck?) or upper spine, it rests on a cushun of muscle on my upper back…

2. I’ve been doing back squats on a weekly (sometimes twice weekly) basis for twenty-one years…when I started squatting at age seventeen I was 5’9 and now at age thirty-eight I’m slightly taller than that…my spine hasn’t been compressed in over two decades of doing back squats…in fact, I’m slightly taller now…

3. in all the years that I’ve been lifting I’ve never known ANYONE that has had an upper spine injury from squatting…I’ve seen guys injure their lower backs (while using bad form or missing a weight that was too heavy for them) but never once have I seen someone injure their upper spine…

back squatting (in my opinion) is a relatively safe exersize (if done with good form)…the benefits of the exersize far out weigh any risks associated with it…

[quote]DPH wrote:

anyhoo, can you give the name of the expert in question? does he site any reference material? because, quite honestly, this guy seems like he’s full of shit (at least from the information that you’ve provided)…

a point or two:

1. the bar does not rest on my neck (who the hell squats with the bar on their neck?) or upper spine, it rests on a cushun of muscle on my upper back…

2. I’ve been doing back squats on a weekly (sometimes twice weekly) basis for twenty-one years…when I started squatting at age seventeen I was 5’9 and now at age thirty-eight I’m slightly taller than that…my spine hasn’t been compressed in over two decades of doing back squats…in fact, I’m slightly taller now…

3. in all the years that I’ve been lifting I’ve never known ANYONE that has had an upper spine injury from squatting…I’ve seen guys injure their lower backs (while using bad form or missing a weight that was too heavy for them) but never once have I seen someone injure their upper spine…

back squatting (in my opinion) is a relatively safe exersize (if done with good form)…the benefits of the exersize far out weigh any risks associated with it…[/quote]

AMEN !!!

And for age issues: the old-time lifters based their workouts around the squat. Grimek, Reeves, Eder, etc – they all squatted. Deep and heavy.

There’s an account of Grimek, at 70 years old, squatting 300 lbs, ass to grass, for 20 reps. Multiple sets. He only stopped squatting because of a hip injury in his early 70’s.

I wish I could squat ass to grass again…I shattered my ankle playing football 3 years ago this week and I still don’t have the range of motion in in to go ass to grass. I can front squat properly and I can box-squat…but no backs squats…unless I want to do them Guido and Luigi style!

C

Your spine can withstand a huge amount of vertical loading, but is very injury prone to an horizontal force, ie a hard kick to the back.

Squats = Good

I’m not saying that this is true of your friend, but it sounds like an excuse people use to avoid any kind of hard work (i.e. squats).

Usually the people who say these things are the people who never make progress in the gym, if they even go to the gym.

They are the same people who will end up with back problems from sitting on their asses all day slouched over a computer, looking for studies that confirm that they should continue to sit on their asses (looking for studies to back their claims) and not get out and lift.

I think people decide they’re not going to do something and then look for evidence to justify their decision.

I think people claim that squats are deads (even performed correctly) are bad for you because:

a) 9/10 people are doing it wrong, which can cause injury and

b) you only ever hear about the injured ones because those who do them right have NOTHING to complain about. They have healthy backs and don’t have to visit the doctor’s office.

I’ve seen plenty of people doing squats and deadlifts with form that’ll injure them in the long term. The bottom line is, if you want to be strong, learn proper form and lift as heavy as you can while maintaining proper form.

[quote]Mowgli wrote:
I’m not saying that this is true of your friend, but it sounds like an excuse people use to avoid any kind of hard work (i.e. squats).

Usually the people who say these things are the people who never make progress in the gym, if they even go to the gym.

They are the same people who will end up with back problems from sitting on their asses all day slouched over a computer, looking for studies that confirm that they should continue to sit on their asses (looking for studies to back their claims) and not get out and lift.

I think people decide they’re not going to do something and then look for evidence to justify their decision.

I think people claim that squats are deads (even performed correctly) are bad for you because:

a) 9/10 people are doing it wrong, which can cause injury and

b) you only ever hear about the injured ones because those who do them right have NOTHING to complain about. They have healthy backs and don’t have to visit the doctor’s office. [/quote]

I think you’re almost exactly right.

[quote]charbreath wrote:
before reading, know that i did not say any of the following, or think it, or agree with it. what do y’all think of this?[/quote]

totally agree. heavy weights in general are bad. if you can only perform the lift for 25 or less reps, the weight is too heavy. decrease the weight or jog. jogging is better anyway.

[quote]JOG wrote:
totally agree. heavy weights in general are bad. if you can only perform the lift for 25 or less reps, the weight is too heavy. decrease the weight or jog. jogging is better anyway.
[/quote]
If you really want a superior posterior chain you need to hit the reverse hyper machine and hit it hard, heavy and often to really develop an superior posterior chain. Keep the intensity high and low, reps low and high and hit it twice a day if necessary…High Frequency training Chad Waterbury style.

Squats and deadlifts are two of the most real world functional exercises. Strong legs make life easier.

I’ll keep squatting.

By the way, you do know that you won’t die in a terrible car accident if you don’t send those chain e-mails everyone gets, right? E-mail isn’t exactly a reliable source of info.

[quote]Creidem wrote:
I wish I could squat ass to grass again…I shattered my ankle playing football 3 years ago this week and I still don’t have the range of motion in in to go ass to grass. I can front squat properly and I can box-squat…but no backs squats…unless I want to do them Guido and Luigi style!

C[/quote]

Have you tried throwing down a couple of 10 pound plates and putting your heels on them when squatting?