T Nation

Squats/Deads Make Your Waist Wide

Here and there I read about it: Squats and deadlifts will make you have big bihind, hips and waist"… And then I realize that in the gymm i go the big bodybuilding guys don’t do them!! we know they are very good exercices for overall strength, but are they really effective for bodybuilding??

For any activity that can be related to any sort of athleticism… squats and deads are very good.

Schwarzenegger, Park, Platz, Coleman, Jackson, Columbu.

They all did/do squats and deads. You should too.

Don’t take other people’s word for it. Try them out yourself and if you don’t like the size you’re putting on, or the places you’re putting the size on, THEN stop. Oh, and if you’re widening and thickening your whole physique, then it’s going to make your waist appear smaller anyway.

DD

they will do absolutely nothing except make you astheticly more pleasing, and have better, longer sex.
Its terrible eating habits that puts unwanted fat in such areas

DEzz

I do find it perplexing also that I don’t see ANY bodybuilders that train at the gyms I do ever doing these two exercises. These guys are pretttyyyy big (230 - 250 lean i would imagine) and seem to stick to isolation exercises exclusively (save the Bench Press).

My ass has gotten bigger since hitting the PC hard.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I do find it perplexing also that I don’t see ANY bodybuilders that train at the gyms I do ever doing these two exercises. These guys are pretttyyyy big (230 - 250 lean i would imagine) and seem to stick to isolation exercises exclusively (save the Bench Press).[/quote]

I agree. I am also confused by this.

[quote]keaster wrote:
My ass has gotten bigger since hitting the PC hard.[/quote]

So have my erections.

[quote]Dezz wrote:
they will do absolutely nothing except make you astheticly more pleasing, and have better, longer sex.
Its terrible eating habits that puts unwanted fat in such areas

DEzz[/quote]

Have you really noticed an improvement in your sex life as a result of squats? If so, what’s a typical squat session for you?

Thanks.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I do find it perplexing also that I don’t see ANY bodybuilders that train at the gyms I do ever doing these two exercises. These guys are pretttyyyy big (230 - 250 lean i would imagine) and seem to stick to isolation exercises exclusively (save the Bench Press).[/quote]

All the competitive BBs I know all do deads, squats, cleans, and all the compound exercises. My close friend is training for a show right now that he can win his pro card with a good placement, his workout revolves around deads, squats, cleans, push presses and bench presses.

I don’t know about anybody else, but I have found that deadlifting and squatting has made my waist wider. I have always had a wide torso compared to my height, and i dont carry much fat around the mid section, but I do have a wide waist. I think that the core work from these exercises, combined with oblique work, has made me wider. It does seem, for the most part, that people that stay away from deads and squats do have skinnier waists. I’m not talking about competitive BB’ers, I’m talking about your average gym rat.

[quote]ricardo wrote:
but are they really effective for bodybuilding?? [/quote]

hell…fucking…yes…

Every GREAT bodybuilder I know uses them, as well as every great athlete.

I worked in a Gold’s Gym in Southern California. I worked with a man who trained two Mr. O competitors. (For his sake I am mentioning no names, but neither were top 10). He said that both of his clients were lazy and relied too much on their drug regimen. I remember him bitching one day: “If those lazy sacks o’ shit would just get the balls to deadlift, squat, or just f_ckin’ lift heavy, they could BOTH be top five.”

And if that doesn’t answer your question, watch any Ronnie Coleman training video or pick up “Pumping Iron.” I can’t think of a single BB whose physique I admire that hasn’t made a significant part of his routine out of deads and squats, at least in the beginning.

I don’t see the point in squats and deadlifts. Most of the time you wear trousers anyway so no-one sees their effects. You would be FAR better off skipping the squats and adding in another dozen sets of curls. Substitute deadlifts for shrugs or rope pushdowns.

ps I think you were meant to phrase your question like this:

“I want to look like (insert name of favourite bodybuilder/sportsman/actor/rent-boy) but I find squats and deadlifts REALLY hard. Plus deadlifts hurt my hands and make me breathe hard - can I just hit the sauna instead?”

[quote]juninho wrote:
I don’t see the point in squats and deadlifts. Most of the time you wear trousers anyway so no-one sees their effects. You would be FAR better off skipping the squats and adding in another dozen sets of curls. Substitute deadlifts for shrugs or rope pushdowns.

ps I think you were meant to phrase your question like this:

“I want to look like (insert name of favourite bodybuilder/sportsman/actor/rent-boy) but I find squats and deadlifts REALLY hard. Plus deadlifts hurt my hands and make me breathe hard - can I just hit the sauna instead?”[/quote]

Textual sarcasm?

To the OP: If you don’t squat/deadlift, one day you will get asked the following:

“Hey! Are those your legs or are you just sitting on a chicken?”

Yeah… Stay away from Deads and Squats and find yourself injured as soon as you start using big weights. You need to have the support of the core or you will plateau, give up, and fail.

You’re looking at bodybuilding all wrong. You jumped off the T-train at “lookin’ good nekkid” and now your priorities are all twisted.

So much data, so many articles, so much personal experience reassures me that those two movements are vital to growing, being hormonally in balance, and more athletically profficient.