Squats Aren't Targeting My Legs

Hopefully this gets through:

Just get stronger, across the board. Don’t worry about feeling this or that, or thinking about why you need to do things differently because you’re a certain shape. When you can squat two plates for clean, explosive reps I guarantee you’ll have bigger legs. By the time you can can do the same with three plates you’ll probably have a really solid base.

You’re young, you’re inexperienced and I know how badly you want to hear there’s something special just about you that means you can do some magic exercise that will let you suddenly get bigger and stronger. There isn’t. Stop looking, put your head down and work hard, consistently and smart on your training and nutrition for a few years. That’s the special something.

5 Likes

Okay thankyou, my main concern was just form. Because I had this struggle with a few different exercises, and as soon as I made changes to my form I would always hit the muscle right. I guess squats are just different. The good thing is I feel like I can increase strength easily because I’m always adding weight on all my exercises. I want to try get a video up just so I can make sure there’s nothing wrong with my form, would anyone be able to critique it for me ??

1 Like

Post away

What app should I use ??

YouTube and just paste the link on here

1 Like

YouTube or IG, whichever is easier.

Hey bud I seen you comment in regards to your legs length and a couple of different ideas to go through
Don’t get caught up in the whole mindset that just because you’re tall or whatever, it means things don’t work or whatever
For example, my legs are 123cm in length, and with an overall height of 212cms tall (6’11), I’m probably a perfect example of “what some people say doesn’t work for you, may just work”
I was so in the mind set of "other tall people say it doesn’t so it must be true) but the best advice I got was to just go do it, and do it a lot

My personal preference for mass gain is squat using Jim wendlers 531 because every workout is an improvement of your last
Seriously, following that format you’ll continue to grow and grow and grow (as per you eat)
Also lunges and farmers carry
Lunges sometimes get pigion holed to not being an effective work out but keeping a short lunge, go real deep holding 2 Dumbbells at a heavy weight and do 3 sets of 20 lunges each leg and go tell me they don’t work

Keep in mind that that, even though Aaron reed is tall, he isn’t you
And you’re not him
If you feel that hack squats activate your quads the most but everyone else says they don’t for them, do hack squats
Because only you know what works for you body
But again, (and I thank @Frank_C forever for the simplest advice I ever received) was “I like to try different stuff because I learn best by doing”
Words to live by

4 Likes

6"11 that’s huuuge I’m only 6"2 but still have really Long legs, I’ll look into that 531 thing thanks for the advice

1 Like

Ok yeah just need to build a base and get a lot stronger.
Dont expect to have any legs till you hit 100kg on squat.
Follow that Wendler article’s advice: 6-12 weeks of Rippetoe then do 5/3/1

Did you watch the video?

Yup, for me your knees are moving a bit too far forward, -shove your ass out more and mentally drive with the hips and press through the heels…

Doesn’t look like there’s much wrong to me. Probably wouldn’t hurt to sit back a little more but I wouldn’t worry too much.

This is my squat form, sorry couldn’t post a video, just wondering why I can’t feel my legs working when I’m squatting and if it is related to my form

Either I am getting deja vu or you have anterograde amnesia.

4 Likes

It isn’t your squat form !! In the picture you posted the amount of actual resistance your using isn’t enough too tax your legs in the first place! I am starting to think your avoiding having to put the needed weight on your back or necessary effort to do so. People have already given you advice in your other thread …But, your coming across as if your fishing for the exact advice you want to hear it seems that matches what every preformed opinion you have already concluded.
Here is a pic of another 15 year old I know with just OK leg development for his age and training experiance.

Many times people struggling with squatting are not wearing a belt.

Many, many, many times people who are succesfully squatting are wearing belts.

Some people are all about training “beltless.” Are beginners training with no belts just making things harder/worse on themselves? Or, would their squatting and training instantly get better belting up to learn to proper “bracing” and “tightness.”

Young dudes play T-Ball with gloves. We don’t start them out bare-handed.

1 Like

Okay I understand , I just always thought that squats should leave me with sore legs, particularly hamstrings because my hamstrings always used to hurt the most from squats

How many times and how many people on multiple threads have to tell you this is not the case?

People are generally happy to help unless they get someone who obviously is clueless continuing to shake their head and reject answers while asking the exact same question over and over.

But I’ve always heard with long legs from so many people to work on ankle mobility to allow the knees to go forward? I’m sitting back a lot in that video and I can’t really go further + I’m using a fairly wide stance