T Nation

Squats and sets

When you do squats, what set/rep combination do you find most helpful. I used to do 6 sets of 8 reps, but yesterday tried 10 sets of 5 reps. My legs were more tired leter in the evening although I had less fatigue during the sets. I also didnt feel like passing out like I sometimes do. Any suggestions for maximum strength? Oh yes, these are well below paralell...

I would guess it all depends on how you respond best.

I'm hypocaloric at moment (on tdawg 2.0), so I go for the more sets of lower reps, usually 6x5. Then I do another type of lift for that same area with similar sets/reps.

I used to eat pretty similar to this and did the higher reps/lower sets thing and it wasn't working for piss. Just was getting really sore and not gaining much.

You have to continually change (periodize) your set-rep scheme. Otherwise your legs will just adapt.

Rep-wise I go from 2 reps to 15 reps and set-wise 4-8 or even more.

1. 5x5 or 8x5 if not dieting
  2. 5/4/3/5/4/3/12
  3. 12x4

Z, I always mix it up, trying to find new ways to make progress. Currently I'm doing lots of singles, doubles and triples, with maybe 4 sets in total and these kill me. The next workout is always 3-4 sets of 10-15 speed reps with a much lighter weight. This seems to really help me get my poundages up after months of fronts. All depends on your goals, but your body thrives on challenge, so mixing it up a bit can't hurt.

I'm back in Calgary and at the gym next Friday. Keep the place together!