Squats and My Lower Back

I have a problem that in my eyes is very serious. I’ve been lifting for a while but just now begun doing so in an organized way, and it seems I made a grave mistake along the way. I tried doing some squats today (I usually don’t), which I am pretty sure I did in rightish form, and could not feel any strain on my leg muscles. Instead, I had most of the pressure it seems, on my lower back, which appears to be weak and far behind the rest of my body.

I row regularily and I never thought about the lower back, which was a mistake… I did a mere 100lbs squat, 5 reps 3 sets and could barely walk straight. I believe that if I want to progress I must do somethign about it, train my lower back quickly somehow, which is why I come here, humbly asking for your advice.

Thanks.

Romanian or stiff-legged deadlifts. Start light and work up over a few weeks/months. straight legged arched back Good mornings are helpful here too, but you gotta be careful with these. Form is everything.

You may also be one of those folks (like me) whose butt won’t do the work due to sitting on the job for long hours. Glute activation exercises really help here. In this case the back may not be weak, but is being forced to carry all the load since the posterior chain (glutes and hamstrings) isn’t/aren’t doing their part.

Do more squats.

Thanks for the tips. What kind of glute exercises?

Give squats a rest for a while and try to strengthen your back for a few weeks with deadlifts. Another alternative would be to position the bar lower on your back when you squat. Yet another alternative would be to do lots of glute exercises in lieu of squats, like GHRs. I also feel that walking lunges are demanding on the glutes.

Sorry for being ignorant, but what’s GHR? all I could find is that it’s some kind of bench.

[quote]Mosho wrote:
Thanks for the tips. What kind of glute exercises?[/quote]

Lay on your back with your legs out straight. draw your legs up and put your feet flat on the floor. Now pick your rear up off the floor - keep your shoulders on the floor - and hold for a 3 count. Go for as many reps as you want.

When you get stronger you can lift one leg off the floor and push with the other.

Looks retarded, but it worked for me.

Reverse lunges are pretty good, too. The load is light on the back but heavy on the glutes and hams. It doesn’t look as retarded to do them.

i’d include squats and deads in your routine, and your back strength will come up

A lot of it is training your body to move that way

just keep at it

GHR = Glute Ham Raise.

Oh yeah, try front squats and Zercher squats.

[quote]Mosho wrote:
I have a problem that in my eyes is very serious. I’ve been lifting for a while but just now begun doing so in an organized way, and it seems I made a grave mistake along the way. I tried doing some squats today (I usually don’t), which I am pretty sure I did in rightish form, and could not feel any strain on my leg muscles. Instead, I had most of the pressure it seems, on my lower back, which appears to be weak and far behind the rest of my body. I row regularily and I never thought about the lower back, which was a mistake… I did a mere 100lbs squat, 5 reps 3 sets and could barely walk straight. I believe that if I want to progress I must do somethign about it, train my lower back quickly somehow, which is why I come here, humbly asking for your advice.

Thanks.[/quote]

Fix your form. You may think you have good form, but if you’ve never squatted before, you probably don’t. Find someone that knows how to squat and ask them. If you are ‘pretty sure’ it’s good, then it isn’t.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

Fix your form. You may think you have good form, but if you’ve never squatted before, you probably don’t. Find someone that knows how to squat and ask them. If you are ‘pretty sure’ it’s good, then it isn’t.[/quote]

Seconded. I remember the first time I squated: my legs hurt for a week. Relax, you just tried a new–not to mention the most demanding–lift. Some soreness is typical, but after a few weeks of squatting, it won’t be so bad.

Squat more, and work on form, start with body weight and nail the form. Goblet squats helped me the most. Also, if you’re taller, try front squats–you’ll be able to stay more upright. It’s important to balance squats with some form of deadlift. Glute ham raises are a great option as well, if you can pull them off.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Do more squats.[/quote]

Yep.

You’re not going to squat more or get stronger if you don’t continue to squat and add weight over time. It may take a while, but you will progress and build up strength in your legs and lower back.

Try bodyweight squats, barbell back squats, barbell front squats, split squats, lunges, step-ups, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, overhead squats, etc.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Oh yeah, try front squats.[/quote]

Back squats (with a sandbag but can be done with a barbell, dumbbells, etc.).

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Squat more, and work on form, start with body weight and nail the form…It’s important to balance squats with some form of deadlift…[/quote]

Romanian Deadlifts.

The best thing I ever did to learn how to squat right was watching this video of Dan John (and I still do). I highly recommend it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=dan+john&total=6701&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

In the 1st 10-15 minutes he shows how to squat properly and helps a guy get deeper into his squat.

Later he shows how to do the Romanian Deadlift, along with a bunch of people.

And if you keep watching you will learn how to SNATCH!!

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
The best thing I ever did to learn how to squat right was watching this video of Dan John (and I still do). I highly recommend it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=dan+john&total=6701&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

In the 1st 10-15 minutes he shows how to squat properly and helps a guy get deeper into his squat.

And if you keep watching you will learn how to SNATCH!![/quote]

Here’s a version of Dan John’s Goblet Squat! :wink:

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
NeoSpartan wrote:

And if you keep watching you will learn how to SNATCH!!

Here’s a version of Dan John’s Goblet Squat! :wink:

[/quote]

LOL!!!

Not exacly but still funny…

btw did u make those yourself?

No, they come from Ryan Lee. You can purchase thousands of them or subscribe to his email and get a few here and there for free. :wink:

Squat Rx
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C03D688F10C4DE1F&page=1