T Nation

Squats and Lunges 3 Times a Week?

I am 14 years old and I am training for basketball. I am working out 3 days a week, full-body. I do squats and lunges on all three days to work my legs. Often times my legs are still kinda sore from the squats and lungesfrom the previous lifting day. Should I still do the squats? My legs are sore while I do them but they are still strong enough to do all 10 reps. I have been on this for 1 week now. I was just worried I might be overtraining or something. Is what I’m doing okay? I also run and do pylo throughout the week. is it bad to train with sore legs? Please help.

Thanks.

Generally, I’m not a fan of training while sore. Though, certain programs almost require that. There are a few things to consider here.
1 - It’s only been one week, the soreness should lessen by next week, even if you don’t change the routine at all. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re overtraining. It’s just your body trying to convince you that it doesn’t want you to be working out.

2 - Doing the exact same routine 3 days a week is an invite to overtraining, and minimal results. If you’re going to hit the same bodypart multiple times each week, change the reps, sets, weight, and exercises you use. Maybe squats with no weight one day, lunges or step-ups another day.

3 - What kind of plyometric work are you doing? You didn’t mention that in your last thread, where you outlined your routine. That can have a big impact on your general recovery.

4 - Running and playing ball on sore legs just generally sucks to do, and can also be an invitation to injury. If you’re sore and on your way to shoot hoops, I’d say stay home have a tuna sandwich instead (protein helps recovery).

You may consider splitting leg exercises through the week like day 1 with squats, day 2 with another exercise such as deadlift or any variation of this lift (snatch grip, trap bar…) and on day 3 you get to perform lunges.

My pylo consists of Richochets, box squats, tuck jump, jumping rope, and running stairs.

Also, is running 5 days during the week too much when strength training. I was planning on doing this.

Monday:
Sprints
pylo
upperbody lifting

Tuesday:
cardio(running 30 minutes)
Lowerbody lifting

wednesday:
upperbody lifting

Thursday:
interval sprints

Friday:
400m x 2
Fullybody lifting

Sunday:
suicides
baseline sprints
lateral movement drills

Is that too much? Thanks for the help so far.

To be quite honest, the answer is probably yes.

Did you write your own program? It looks as though you are trying to get everything done in one week. You’d be better off doing less and improving the quality of work.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
[/quote]

Do lunges one day, squats another day, and deadlifts/good mornings or another heavy posterial chain another day. You can use more volume for a body part if you only do the same exercise once a week. You could probably improve lower body recovery by doing the psrints and lower body lifting thge same day.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
To be quite honest, the answer is probably yes.

Did you write your own program? It looks as though you are trying to get everything done in one week. You’d be better off doing less and improving the quality of work.

Stay strong
MR

Baller1950 wrote:

[/quote]

What should I take out? What am I doing wrong?

See, this is where it gets confusing having 2 threads with similar questions. You’ve got some advice coming your way on this thread (which you started a few hours before this one) as well.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=732614

In short, I’ll say that 5 days of running and 4 days of weight training, plus plyometric training, is quite a lot to deal with. I’d be happy (and you’d do just as well) with a consistent, basic 3-day-a-week strength program, some regular basketball playing during the week (pickup games as well as skill practice), and maybe some bike riding, skateboarding, or roller blading here and there.

Wont my arms be a little too sore from weight training to play basketball throughout the week?(I havent tried it yet)

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Wont my arms be a little too sore from weight training to play basketball throughout the week?(I havent tried it yet)[/quote]

That’s one good reason not to work them directly too often. But try it, and see how you feel. You can increase your recovery by eating enough (or more than enough) protein (roast beef, tuna, chicken, milk, things like that).