Squats and Deads

Ok, two questions…

1. I severely broke my tailbone about three years back, and it has made it very difficult for me to squat. I can only go light, and by that, I mean real light, we’re talking like 190 for like 8 reps, feeling somewhat comfortable. When I try and up the weight, my lower back feels like it’s going to crumble under the weight. Now, I have fairly strong legs, actually, do to the non-involvment of the back in leg presses, i’m well over 1000 pounds on that exercise, but I’m really just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I’ve experimented with strengthening the lower back, but it hasn’t really helped. Any takers?

2)On to deadlifts…do you guys perform them on leg or back day, and when you lower the weight, do you let it hit the floor, or stop just short? I know, kind of a stupid question, but I’ve always wondered about this…

Thanks for the help…

1. Look over Phase I of Ian King’s ‘Limping’ series. It has some definate rehab potential.

2. Touch the weight to the ground, reset form and start again.

The deadlifting question is far from stupid. Check out Dave Tate’s Dead Zone article here on T-Mag for your answer. Read the whole thing and you will not only get your answer, but a lot of other invaluable information to help your lift.