T Nation

Squats and Deadlifts

I need a little help. This might seem like a really stupid question, so forgive me if it is. I have “worked out” off and on since highschool. Recently I have decided to start training for strongman competitions and have a dilemma. The way I have my training sessions outlined is my squats and dead-lifts are on the same days.

But since I have been training as hard as I have, with the amount of weight I am using, I think it is affecting me negatively. So to finally get to my question, should I dead-lift on the same day I do my squats? Also, I suck at squats do to lack of teaching in that area from football coaches telling me it was bad for my knees.

So any help I can get on form, different variations, etc… Would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Your deads will have a better carryover to strongman.

I wouldn’t neglect squats (no matter what you were training for) but I think they can take a backseat for a while.

What this may mean is that you can hit the deads HARD while you work on learning the squat. That way the intensity level is reigned in a bit as far as the hips/low back is concerned.

Take the time to REALLY learn proper squat mechanics with low volume, medium weight sets. That’ll allow you to improve your pulling power as you learn the lift.

I’d say your first priority is to learn to squat properly. While learning how to squat continue with high intensity on deadlift. Once you can properly squat I would have one day with squat as the main movement and another with deadlift as the main movement.

On squat days you could incorporate some low sets of speed pulls after your squat session. On deadlift days after your deads do light box squats emphasizing speed. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes, but then again I don’t know what your training schedule looks like. Good luck.

Thanks, that helps.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
I’d say your first priority is to learn to squat properly. While learning how to squat continue with high intensity on deadlift. Once you can properly squat I would have one day with squat as the main movement and another with deadlift as the main movement.

On squat days you could incorporate some low sets of speed pulls after your squat session. On deadlift days after your deads do light box squats emphasizing speed. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes, but then again I don’t know what your training schedule looks like. Good luck.[/quote]

yeah, this is pretty much right on. do both lifts, just switch the focus from day to day. This is how many eastern bloc coaches train strength athletes, who squat and deadlift many times a week but only once heavy on each lift. And their lifters end up strong and technically flawless.

Derek’s right as well about deadlift being a lot more important in strongman…I’ve never done a strongman comp, so maybe I’m full of shit, but I’ve done PL meets, and for me, training the squat hard helps the deadlift A LOT more than the other way around. As long as I’m pulling enough to keep the groove, I don’t have to push that hard and as long as I’m driving my squat, the deadlift goes up too.

What strongman comp are you training for?

good advice so far

for awhile I really priortized my deadlift I would do deadlifts on tuesday, overhead on thursday, squats on friday, events on sunday

I was training for the comp in Waseca, MN.the 21 of July but I crushed a bone in my wrist about 3 weeks ago, just got the diagnosis the other day. So that comp is out. I will try for another one in about 6 months. At least I will if the ortho. surgeon lets me.

[quote]b1gfc3s wrote:
I was training for the comp in Waseca, MN.the 21 of July but I crushed a bone in my wrist about 3 weeks ago, just got the diagnosis the other day. So that comp is out. I will try for another one in about 6 months. At least I will if the ortho. surgeon lets me.[/quote]

Right on, it says you live in California so I was wondering if you where doing the same comps as me…

Heal up, comeback strong.

No this was going to be my first comp. I started traing for strongman about 5-6 months ago. Really concetrating on my squats and deadlifts. All I really need now is training partners. I live around the Temecula Area. Thanx. I also do not know of any comps around here.

Yeah I am pretty far away on the central coast…

The next Cali contest is a little above San Fransisco in Petaluma, on August 25th I think.

I am also doing a comp in Idaho on the 11th which looks fun…

There is a comp in Phoneix, AZ on September 1st I think which is probaly closer to you.

Should be a comp in San Diego next year as well from what I hear.