Squats and Deadlifts

I’ve been lifting for a little over a year now and have seen some good solid strength and size improvements although fairly slow but steady. I’ve also been dialing in my diet over the last few months to try to shed some bodyfat but not any muscle.

I step on the scale yesterday and damn, it reads 5lbs heavier than last month. so, I immediately pull out the calipers and damn again, BF% is a little bit lower. That is the first time in my life that I’ve gained weight and not had to expand the belt. Very, Very Cool !! I can see how this gets addicting.

Now for the question, the only thing i’ve changed over the last month is to add in Squats and Deadlifts into my routine. Are these two exercises THAT powerful in stimulating growth and if so, why do anything else ?

Axel

[quote]Axel44 wrote:
Are these two exercises THAT powerful in stimulating growth and if so, why do anything else ?

Axel[/quote]

Yes, they are very powerful in regards to growth potential.

Well, ultimately, you coult just squat and deadlift, but it’d be far from optimal. Adding presses, rows, chins, dips etc will add muscle to the rest of your body.

[quote]Axel44 wrote:
I’ve been lifting for a little over a year now and have seen some good solid strength and size improvements although fairly slow but steady. I’ve also been dialing in my diet over the last few months to try to shed some bodyfat but not any muscle.

I step on the scale yesterday and damn, it reads 5lbs heavier than last month. so, I immediately pull out the calipers and damn again, BF% is a little bit lower. That is the first time in my life that I’ve gained weight and not had to expand the belt. Very, Very Cool !! I can see how this gets addicting.

Now for the question, the only thing i’ve changed over the last month is to add in Squats and Deadlifts into my routine. Are these two exercises THAT powerful in stimulating growth and if so, why do anything else ?

Axel[/quote]
I think that you’ll find that by adding them in, you’ll eliminate the need to do a ton of leg exercises. Squats and Deadlifts will take the place of leg extensions, lunges, step ups, and other exercises. Not that you couldn’t do those as well, but they’re very efficient at stimulating leg/lower back and possibly, overall growth.

[quote]Axel44 wrote:
Are these two exercises THAT powerful in stimulating growth and if so, why do anything else ?

Axel[/quote]

Yes! They are very good muscle builders.

Many people make very good progress on a steady diet of Squats-Deads-Presses-Rows.

Do some searching on FullBody workouts.

It sounds like you might benefit from some Squat-Push-Pull routines.

Google Bill Starr and Chad Waterbury.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Axel44 wrote:

Axel
I think that you’ll find that by adding them in, you’ll eliminate the need to do a ton of leg exercises. Squats and Deadlifts will take the place of leg extensions, lunges, step ups, and other exercises. Not that you couldn’t do those as well, but they’re very efficient at stimulating leg/lower back and possibly, overall growth.

[/quote]

Don’t ditch lunges or step ups.

Yes.

Add bench presses for the trifecta.

Nice to see another case of clarity.

Your compound movements are the greatest for putting on mass. Other isolated exercises are great for sculpting. You should have both compound and isolated movements in your routines.