Squats: 100 Reasons Why You Do Them

[quote]Onslaught2099 wrote:
here’s a good reason to do squats. back in 2005 i had just started doing squats seriously for 4 months. i was super weak at it as well only 10x10 at 225. i had a house fire, had to jump out the 2nd story of the house to concrete. i ended up breaking both my tibias and causing some ankle damage. doctors said if i had not been squatting and built up the bone density in my legs i could’ve 1) shattered my heals and not walked for over a year. 2) had my knee caps break and come straight out of my skin or 3) broken upper parts of my legs and never walked correctly again. my legs healed in 10 weeks and i was walking again. i give much praise to squats and not to the whole having 28.5" upper thighs either, more like the whole not being in a wheel chair for life. [/quote]

Too bad you hadn’t been doing parkour.

cured me. and now they get the ladies. chick dig guys that don’t have chicken legs. i mean its much harder for them to ride on top but hey who cares.

cured me. and now they get the ladies. chick dig guys that don’t have chicken legs. i mean its much harder for them to ride on top but hey who cares.

[quote]SSC wrote:
…are these questions serious?[/quote]

Hahaha. Scary, isn’t it?

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
SSC wrote:
…are these questions serious?

Hahaha. Scary, isn’t it?[/quote]

Scary, yet shockingly predictable.

[quote]jstreet0204 wrote:
JaX Un wrote:
that was only 50reasons

Standard procedure. All numbers given on this forum are to be inflated.

[/quote]

Ahaha, nice one!

Strength is movement-specific.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
johnson575 wrote:
SSC wrote:
mr popular wrote:
This would probably be better received in the powerlifting forum, because I really don’t see what is so special about this one exercise that people have now decided is sacred.

For truth. I have seen more size and strength gains in my legs since I STOPPED doing traditional front + back squats.

How do you know if you’ve gotten stronger if you’ve STOPPED doing squats?

Ummm…you’re legs can’t get stronger if you stop doing squats?[/quote]

Opinion:
The bad thing about them is they strain your back and shoulders having to balance the bar, constantly fearful that you make a wrong move and snap your knee or topple forwards, sideways or backwards and get seriously hurt. Also you might miss the rack when trying to rack the bar again etc.
This is why I’m hating squats right now, to some extent.

Leg press etc. would take care of the quads but squats add a degree of glute activation and so they cannot be ignored with a perfect conscience.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
that was only 50reasons[/quote]

Here’s the other 50:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/100_reasons_squats2.htm

[quote]Alffi wrote:
Opinion:
The bad thing about them is they strain your back and shoulders having to balance the bar, constantly fearful that you make a wrong move and snap your knee or topple forwards, sideways or backwards and get seriously hurt. Also you might miss the rack when trying to rack the bar again etc.

Leg press etc. would take care of the quads but squats add a degree of glute activation and so they cannot be ignored with a perfect conscience.[/quote]

Work on your balance more, squats>leg press.

[quote]Alffi wrote:
Opinion:

Leg press etc. would take care of the quads but squats add a degree of glute activation and so they cannot be ignored with a perfect conscience.[/quote]

I’ve never had those problems balancing the bar or those fears. Am I abnormal? Heavy squats are not for the faint of heart, but those should not be reasons not to do them.

SSC:
If leg presses are working for you better than squatting, then by all means keep doing them.

I like the mentality behind that list. It’s better to be crazy and irrational like some religious freak than to be luke warm.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Work on your balance more, squats>leg press.[/quote]

Why the zealous attitude and reverence of squats? They’re just another exercise. A very good exercise, but they have been put on a pedestal and are overhyped. While I do love squats, there are those that the squat doesn’t work for, and these sweeping generalisations that squats are better than leg presses in all situations annoy me.

LOL @ the people who don’t squat.

[quote]Onslaught2099 wrote:
cured me. and now they get the ladies. chick dig guys that don’t have chicken legs. i mean its much harder for them to ride on top but hey who cares. [/quote]

How?

[quote]The Contender wrote:
MattyG35 wrote:

Why the zealous attitude and reverence of squats? They’re just another exercise. A very good exercise, but they have been put on a pedestal and are overhyped. While I do love squats, there are those that the squat doesn’t work for, and these sweeping generalisations that squats are better than leg presses in all situations annoy me.[/quote]

Other than being medically cleared from doing squats or injured, if its a balance issue, use lighter weights AND make sure both sides are loaded evenly, this is a big mistake I’m seeing more and more of, very upsetting to see this happen.

[quote]Hairy Manlet wrote:
Onslaught2099 wrote:

How?[/quote]

Tiny dick.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Hairy Manlet wrote:
Onslaught2099 wrote:

How?

Tiny dick.[/quote]
Thunder thighs won’t alleviate the problem either.

[quote]The Contender wrote:
MattyG35 wrote:

Why the zealous attitude and reverence of squats? They’re just another exercise. A very good exercise, but they have been put on a pedestal and are overhyped. While I do love squats, there are those that the squat doesn’t work for, and these sweeping generalisations that squats are better than leg presses in all situations annoy me.[/quote]

I would echo what The Contender is saying here.

Here’s the old stand-by squat poem:

"Way down this road, in a gym far away, A young man was once heard to say, “I’ve repped high and I’ve repped low, No matter what I do, my legs won’t grow” He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses too Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he’d do. From the corner of the gym where the BIG men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty-fives, A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees. Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack Chalking his hands and monstrous back, said, "Boy, stop lying and don’t say you’ve forgotten, The trouble with you is you ain’t been SQUATTIN! "

P.S : #57 on that list was stupid.