Squats: 100 Reasons Why You Do Them

This is beautiful, go check this article from elitefts on squats, awesome!!!

Best quote:

"Very few movements require the same degree of dedication, desire and determination as heavy squats. Squats are more than a physical strength builder and may be the only movement that builds a personâ??s character. Life is about standing up AFTER a heavy load takes you down.â?? â?? Dave Tate

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/100_reasons_squats.htm

that was only 50reasons

This would probably be better received in the powerlifting forum, because I really don’t see what is so special about this one exercise that people have now decided is sacred.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
This would probably be better received in the powerlifting forum, because I really don’t see what is so special about this one exercise that people have now decided is sacred.[/quote]

… and here we go with a 20 page shit tossing thread. lol

[quote]mr popular wrote:
This would probably be better received in the powerlifting forum, because I really don’t see what is so special about this one exercise that people have now decided is sacred.[/quote]

For truth. I have seen more size and strength gains in my legs since I STOPPED doing traditional front + back squats.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
that was only 50reasons[/quote]

Standard procedure. All numbers given on this forum are to be inflated.

hahaha, got ya

[quote]jstreet0204 wrote:
JaX Un wrote:
that was only 50reasons

Standard procedure. All numbers given on this forum are to be inflated.

[/quote]

lol!!

[quote]SSC wrote:
mr popular wrote:
This would probably be better received in the powerlifting forum, because I really don’t see what is so special about this one exercise that people have now decided is sacred.

For truth. I have seen more size and strength gains in my legs since I STOPPED doing traditional front + back squats.[/quote]

How do you know if you’ve gotten stronger if you’ve STOPPED doing squats?

[quote]johnson575 wrote:
SSC wrote:
mr popular wrote:

For truth. I have seen more size and strength gains in my legs since I STOPPED doing traditional front + back squats.

How do you know if you’ve gotten stronger if you’ve STOPPED doing squats?[/quote]

Ummm…you’re legs can’t get stronger if you stop doing squats?

[quote]johnson575 wrote:
SSC wrote:
mr popular wrote:

How do you know if you’ve gotten stronger if you’ve STOPPED doing squats?[/quote]

He went from a 225 squat to a 275 leg press.

:wink:

[quote]SSC wrote:
mr popular wrote:

For truth. I have seen more size and strength gains in my legs since I STOPPED doing traditional front + back squats.[/quote]

Then you were training them wrong.

x2

Squat is king.

Whoopeeee squats FTW!!!

Yeah maybe they’re not the be all and end all of exercises but I agree, if you got stronger after stopping squats you were probably doing them wrong.

Also agree how do you know your legs are stronger if you don’t squat anymore? There are plenty of people who could do the whole stack on a leg extension but not squat more than 225. Not so many who can squat 400+ and not do the whole stack on the leg extension…

…are these questions serious?

here’s a good reason to do squats. back in 2005 i had just started doing squats seriously for 4 months. i was super weak at it as well only 10x10 at 225. i had a house fire, had to jump out the 2nd story of the house to concrete. i ended up breaking both my tibias and causing some ankle damage. doctors said if i had not been squatting and built up the bone density in my legs i could’ve 1) shattered my heals and not walked for over a year. 2) had my knee caps break and come straight out of my skin or 3) broken upper parts of my legs and never walked correctly again. my legs healed in 10 weeks and i was walking again. i give much praise to squats and not to the whole having 28.5" upper thighs either, more like the whole not being in a wheel chair for life.

[quote]Onslaught2099 wrote:
here’s a good reason to do squats. back in 2005 i had just started doing squats seriously for 4 months. i was super weak at it as well only 10x10 at 225. i had a house fire, had to jump out the 2nd story of the house to concrete. i ended up breaking both my tibias and causing some ankle damage. doctors said if i had not been squatting and built up the bone density in my legs i could’ve 1) shattered my heals and not walked for over a year. 2) had my knee caps break and come straight out of my skin or 3) broken upper parts of my legs and never walked correctly again. my legs healed in 10 weeks and i was walking again. i give much praise to squats and not to the whole having 28.5" upper thighs either, more like the whole not being in a wheel chair for life. [/quote]

woah… that is ridiculous. so does that mean marc bratley could jump out of a 100 story building and be alright? I bet he could

Batman does his squats and he jumps and lands just fine. Ill keep doing my squats

Heavy squats cure cancer. No seriously though they are a good strength building exercise for the whole core, and lower body. You get a different coordination and useful strength out of doing back or front squats than having your body confined on a single plane of motion like a hack squat or leg press does. I am probably talking out my ass, but thats just my opinion on the matter.