Squatless, Dead Less Program

Tweaked my back pulling at my last meet and have had a pretty hard time recovering. Was squating tonight at less then 50% of my max and my back flaired up, so I’m throwing in the towel on anything that puts pressure on my back (no deads, squats barbell rows, arched bench, ect).

So I’m shifting my goals to leaning up and letting my back heal, trying to get tanned and jacked for the summer yo. With that said does anyone have any good programs that avoid man style lifts while helping me stay baby back bi**h free get my abs and my arms on? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hey man,

Letting your back heal is smart. Taking care and resting up a smaller injury so that it doesn’t become something serious is a wise move, especially with a back injury.

If you’re looking for potential BB Style workouts you should check out KingBeefs “Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One” thread.

He outlines several different routines and answered questions about them throughout. There area my options in there and you can always switch out any potentially aggravating exercises for a suitable alternative.

Good luck.

[quote]Staged86 wrote:
Tweaked my back pulling at my last meet and have had a pretty hard time recovering. Was squating tonight at less then 50% of my max and my back flaired up, so I’m throwing in the towel on anything that puts pressure on my back (no deads, squats barbell rows, arched bench, ect).

So I’m shifting my goals to leaning up and letting my back heal, trying to get tanned and jacked for the summer yo. With that said does anyone have any good programs that avoid man style lifts while helping me stay baby back bi**h free get my abs and my arms on? Any help would be greatly appreciated
[/quote]

suicide is always an option. no squats or deads required.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Hey man,

Letting your back heal is smart. Taking care and resting up a smaller injury so that it doesn’t become something serious is a wise move, especially with a back injury.

If you’re looking for potential BB Style workouts you should check out KingBeefs “Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One” thread.

He outlines several different routines and answered questions about them throughout. There area my options in there and you can always switch out any potentially aggravating exercises for a suitable alternative.

Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks brother I will check that out for sure

Hey

I am in the same boat. I was pretty dumb and tried to train lighter on squats and deads for a while…which did not work.

I am actually fine benching, but if you want to do floor press instead that would be ok as well.

I moved to a full body routine 3x a week, and for lower body I do weighted vest single leg squats (1x50 per leg) one day, hip thrusts the other two days (5x10 and 10x3). Seems to be working ok.

If you have a hip belt, you could do belt squats. I tried with a dip belt but it caused pressure on my back.

DB rows work fine, as do weighted chins. Seated or incline pressing would be your friend.

I also started adding really high rep work for traps and bi’s (45-135lbs for up to 100 reps) and I have put on size doing this.

http://www. youtube.com/user/twinmuscleworkout

I’m usually not a fan of these guys’ training advices, since they complain way too much about every exercise snapping up their backs, but take a look at some of their training videos for ideas of exercises that don’t put much pressure on the spine.

You don’t need a specific non-squat/non-DL program. Just do any standard BB programming, and don’t include those lifts. My discs are all snapped up, and like another poster said, I thought I could get away with doing contraindicated lifts with light weights. I did that for a long time and paid the price.

I personally find hack squats to be the best replacement for squats. I can do some leg presses, depending on the angle, but I don’t go knees-to-chest deep. Somersault squats have been a great addition; very little stress on the spine. I also find that I can perform smith front squats pain-free (for whatever reason) as long as I just go to parallel and not ATG. Then, of course, you have leg extensions, which I’m not a huge fan of, but are obviously low impact. You also have an array of single-leg movements from which to choose, if you don’t want to completely abandon free weights.

The only DL variation I do is DB RDL’s, holding the DB’s by my sides. My main problem is getting too emotionally worked up, and grabbing the heaviest DB’s in the gym, which inevitably results in a return trip to snap city. But as long as I choose a conservative weight, and focus on using a slow, controlled negative, then I’m GTG. But if the pain is too bad on a given day, I do back extensions instead. And needless to say, you should be doing any variation of hamstring curls in addition.

Instead of BB/DB rows, I do chest-supported versions, or really any other back exercise. No big deal.

Honestly, I wonder what % of posters on these boards actually squat and deadlift consistently anyway. OP, you can just do any standard BB split and not do those two exercises.