T Nation

Squat Walkouts

I haven’t been practising my walk-out, but I’ve had to pay a lot of attention to my set-up as the weights have gotten heavier. My upper back rounds over too much if I don’t stay tight right from the set-up.

I’ve started throwing in some high box squats lately (walked out). I mainly added them because I was finding it hard to get a huge breath of air on a max attempt, so I figured it would help getting used to heavier weights. As an added benefit it has helped with the walkout as well.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
My max squat is 275, but I’ve walked out 315 for sets of 5 just for the fun of it, 1/4 squat ROM. I like getting the feel on my back but my coach punked me out because it wasn’t prescribed and it affected the quality of some prescribed DLs later in the workout. Oops!

I do like trying the weight on my back. Once I get used to the, “Oh crap! This is heavy!” it gets easier.[/quote]

I was thinking I would try something like this. I’ve just started using a squat suit. I’ve only tried it out a couple of times so far. I think one of my limiting factors is just the panic feeling I get with a heavier load on my back. It’s almost more of a mental issue.

Do you find it helps you?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
My max squat is 275, but I’ve walked out 315 for sets of 5 just for the fun of it, 1/4 squat ROM.

I like getting the feel on my back but my coach punked me out because it wasn’t prescribed and it affected the quality of some prescribed DLs later in the workout. Oops!

I do like trying the weight on my back. Once I get used to the, “Oh crap! This is heavy!” it gets easier.

I was thinking I would try something like this. I’ve just started using a squat suit. I’ve only tried it out a couple of times so far. I think one of my limiting factors is just the panic feeling I get with a heavier load on my back. It’s almost more of a mental issue.

Do you find it helps you?[/quote]

I think so, if only mentally. The first time I did 315, I could barely get it off the hooks, but then when I realized I could unlock my knees (hehe), I felt more confident.

Wtf why is no one commenting on that dude’s squat… or am I missing something?

900… no spotters, in a cage, by himself… for 2!! And it was clean.

jesus h christ. thanks for the video man.

A regular part of my training is squat overloads…usually a walkout and ten second hold with 105-120% or more…when i am raw i am working with a 600 pound max but am walking out anywhere from 650-800.

also i do my walkouts with chains hanging and swinging…for example when ia am training raw i will walk out with 595 on the bar and 60 lbs of swinging chains

i find they help alot when you get to the heavier weight, especially someone like me who takes his time setting up and prepping to squat and setting the bar, to walk out with your 96-101% and have it feel light on your back.

also, one way to stop the whipping and instability is to get set and take your time on the walkout…its a “walk” out, not a "run"out