Squat vs. Deadlift Biochemics

After reading almost every article on here about deadlifts and squats, I still can’t figure out what you do besides raising your hips in the deadlift that would place the major force on the hamstrings instead of the quads.

I’m almost certain I’ve got my form down for both squat and deadlift, I’ve been concerned with that for a long time, but the two exercises are still very similar to me besides hip placement (and where the bar is of course).

I love it when people answer their own questions.

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
but the two exercises are still very similar to me besides hip placement (and where the bar is of course).[/quote]

My question was more of a why.

dan,

The ham is dual inserted so it both flexes the lower leg around the knee al well as flexes the upper thigh around the pelvis. Upper quad is what is so important in the DL and the start of the squat. Leg curls are for the bottom, and smaller part of the quad. But keep in mind PL is about movement not muscles. The weider mind muscle connection is for bodybuilding. The Powerlifter mind movement connection is what you need. An example is in the DL you push your feet through the floor, but in the squat you push your traps through the bar.

jmo
jack

This may be a stupid newbie question, but are you talking about just powerlifting movements, or powerlifting as a thought process? I’m interested in hypertrophy and strength, not just pure strength. Would I be using the Weider or the PL minde-muscle connection during the squat and deadlift?

dan,

You can pretty big powerlifting and eating well. When i do curls every few weeks, i enjoy the focus on a muscle. Amazingly, the heavier and more volume i do for BACK, the more i see it in my arms.

Hmmmm…

jack