T Nation

Squat vs Deadlift Amount

Hi all. I deadlift 245 lbs and squat 175 lbs. each for 5x5 and just complete all 25. Should the squat be higher than that looking at my dead amount?
thx

This topic comes up every so often. It is very common to deadlift more than you squat.

What about me I squat 100lbs more than I dead lift, and too boot I am a lanky bastard much more built to pull. What does that say about me?

[quote]Kagemusha wrote:
What about me I squat 100lbs more than I dead lift, and too boot I am a lanky bastard much more built to pull. What does that say about me?[/quote]

Weak grip?

[quote]Kagemusha wrote:
What about me I squat 100lbs more than I dead lift, and too boot I am a lanky bastard much more built to pull. What does that say about me?[/quote]

Is that squat raw or with a suit?
Also, where is your sticking point with the pull?

[quote]ReklaW wrote:
Hi all. I deadlift 245 lbs and squat 175 lbs. each for 5x5 and just complete all 25. Should the squat be higher than that looking at my dead amount?
thx[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]Mastermind wrote:
ReklaW wrote:
thx

Yes.[/quote]

Actually, they should both be higher :wink:

All joking aside, I’d say that it’s normal to be a bit higher on one or the other depending on your body structure, but that’s a fairly significant percentage. Make sure you make the squat your priority (work it first) for the next little while.

ha ha, i like that one best.
I’ll try to up the squat. The fact that i am completing all 5x5 tells me I should be higher anyway and fail before the final rep. The final dead rep is way harder than the final squat rep, that’s for sure.

I think my brain is playing a part, i have no spot so i don’t want to get too close to my limit. I’ll work on that…

[quote]ReklaW wrote:

I think my brain is playing a part, i have no spot so i don’t want to get too close to my limit. I’ll work on that…[/quote]

if you don’t have a squat rack with safety bars or a power rack to squat in, you can improvise safety bars by placing a saw horse either side of you to catch the bar if you fail.