T Nation

Squat Video!

So here’s a squat session I had. lol

GREAT FUCKIN JOB!!!

I started laughing my ass off at the beginning when it said 198 lbs, then I realized that wasn’t your squat number :stuck_out_tongue: Very nice, especially at your weight. You planning on competing?

Very solid.

[quote]Epimetheus wrote:
I started laughing my ass off at the beginning when it said 198 lbs, then I realized that wasn’t your squat number :stuck_out_tongue: Very nice, especially at your weight. You planning on competing?[/quote]

haha nice. I only lift raw so I’ll go to the next open meet in my area yeah. I’ve won my highschool competition for provincials and stuff. I’m going back into combat sports in September.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Epimetheus wrote:
I started laughing my ass off at the beginning when it said 198 lbs, then I realized that wasn’t your squat number :stuck_out_tongue: Very nice, especially at your weight. You planning on competing?

haha nice. I only lift raw so I’ll go to the next open meet in my area yeah. I’ve won my highschool competition for provincials and stuff. I’m going back into combat sports in September. [/quote]

You squat for powerlifting or to build your legs?

Probably both…

Wich one to more of a extent tho?

Good depth and weight by the way!

I don’t know actually now that you ask haha. I squat cause I like squatting, I like being strong. I’m very serious about all my workouts. I’ve only competed in highschool meets. I will definately do a powerlifting meet though. I just like powerlifting in general. So I guess the appropriate answer is powerlifing. It’s fun. lol

[quote]rasturai wrote:
I don’t know actually now that you ask haha. I squat cause I like squatting, I like being strong. I’m very serious about all my workouts. I’ve only competed in highschool meets. I will definately do a powerlifting meet though. I just like powerlifting in general. So I guess the appropriate answer is powerlifing. It’s fun. lol[/quote]

You might want to consider changeing your form some what then. I know at the moment your probably squating the way you feel strognest but if you change your form you will be able to move alot more weight mechanically speaking.

Wider stance
Shins more or less straight up in the air at the bottom.
Goodmorning as much as you have to to keep your shins up.

By doing this you wont have to go as low to hit paralel, you will have less knee bend. And you wont have to move the bar as far. You could take amlost half the knee ROM out of the squat wich might make it as easy as a half squat when you compare it to what your doing currently.

SOOO less over all distance, knee bend, and more power in the bottom due to being unflexable = alot more weight.

And it only takes a couple weeks to teach your self a new form and become comfortable with it…

But in the end you gotta do what you think will work best for you.

Awesome squat session!

But how the hell can you do 415x6 and 435x4 and not get 500? I mean, I couldn’t do 435x4 before I got 500.

Good squats and good technique. I wouldn’t change a thing at the moment. All that sitting back and vertical shins tech may well be good when you wearing a Leviathan suit and have a wide stance but not really suitable for an unequipped lifter.

Yeah, I’ve tried a wider stance, a closer stance, a really closer stance lol. A wider stance, my knee’s just like cave in more, I have no power out of the hole. I’ve found that this form works pretty well for me, I might try some different stuff later but for now I’m gonna keep this.

I’m pretty confident I can do 500 right now actually lol, I just haven’t done it lol. I will be doing 475, and 490. Rest a bit then hit the big 500. I actually wanna do 505 instead haha 5lbs more. We’ll see.

very impressive lift man. great work and keep at it. great numbers.

[quote]IainK wrote:
Good squats and good technique. I wouldn’t change a thing at the moment. All that sitting back and vertical shins tech may well be good when you wearing a Leviathan suit and have a wide stance but not really suitable for an unequipped lifter.

[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding!! Someone gets it…

All this widen your stance and sit back cos it’s the only way to squat is false. It might be the only way to squat in multi ply gear but that certainly doesn’t mean it’s the only way to squat!!

To the OP, very VERY strong squats.

Good shit. I wish more people posted videos like that.

[quote]eisenaffe wrote:
Awesome squat session!

But how the hell can you do 415x6 and 435x4 and not get 500? I mean, I couldn’t do 435x4 before I got 500.[/quote]

Yeah, great squat session, and I was also thinking the same thing as the above poster. Most people who can squat 415x6 and 435x4 with solid reps can get 500+.

Once you get beyond the mental barrier and anxiety of “holy shit this is 500lbs”, you should be able to smoke 500. Of course, this anxiety is exactly why people miss weights that they are capable of the first few attempts.

When you do attempt 500 or more, I would make sure that you have a few good spotters, just in case your set-up is off or you lose technique due to the fact that you have never actually attempted that much before.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
IainK wrote:

Ding Ding Ding!! Someone gets it…

All this widen your stance and sit back cos it’s the only way to squat is false. It might be the only way to squat in multi ply gear but that certainly doesn’t mean it’s the only way to squat!!

To the OP, very VERY strong squats.[/quote]

Thats not what I ment, people get used to lifting a certain way and become strongest that way. Why not make the variation have the least range of motion.

If someone has strong triceps and a weak chest and shoulders they would be stronger with a closer grip. But if they moved thier hands out got a arch, leg drive and tucked thier shoulders give it a couple weeks and they would be moveing more weight.

Hope this clears things up.

And about the squat suit and form thing. I have seen 30000 kids my age squat with a close stance with knees going realy far fwards and you know what they all have in common? I out squat them “with a form that shouldnt work without a squat suit” Thats all I realy have to say about that.

[quote]n3wb wrote:

And about the squat suit and form thing. I have seen 30000 kids my age squat with a close stance with knees going realy far fwards and you know what they all have in common? I out squat them “with a form that shouldnt work without a squat suit” Thats all I realy have to say about that.

[/quote]

Cool, good stuff. I’m not saying it’s not gonna work like. I jsut think that everyone’s completly over reacting to what they see in the WPO and taking their stance out way too wide.

Even at the NERB the majority of the lifters took their stance in somewhat. That tells me that squatting super wide doesn’t work without signifcant gear. Do ya not think?

I’ve actually started doing ultra wide stance squats (think sumo) and have found hte shorter ROM crazy. It’s like I barely have to move to hit depth, but I’m no where near as strong that way. Maybe it will come on, maybe not. I’m doing it to help my sumo pulls and to that end it’s working VERY well.

Hanley, I hear the wide box squats will really help the sumo, especially done for speed.

I WAS AT THE NERB, and trust me A LOT of lifters brought their stance in ENORMOUSLY, I’d say perhaps a tad bit wider than mine, but somewhat near. They went pretty much a bit wider than their normal shoulder width. I pull sumo because I have very strong hips.

NeWb, what is your regular max squat? I know you do a lot of box squats and I just wanted to know if you think regular squats for a max or box squats for a max are harder? I wanna start incorporating box squats but I’m not sure, hit me back man.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
Good shit. I wish more people posted videos like that.[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean. All I know is that I’ll be posting a lot more vids now, just for fun/entertainment…also so people know who I am and where I stand so when I ask a question they’ll kinda know what I’m all about n stuff.

I’ll be posting 365 bench soon, I’m fiending for 405 and give me 3 months and I swear it’s mine.