Squat Tips

What are some standard mental/training tips to help me prevent my squat from becoming a good morning. I don’t round my spine, but my hips seem to come up first, only towards LATE reps, leaving me with a bar I have to rack the rest of the way just using my back. TIA.

Just like on DL, don’t think of it as just standing up, think of the motion as one big pelvic thrust,…where starting from the bottom of the motion, you push the hips forward, and push the bar back as well as up. Lead up with your chest.

when coming out of the hole i always do a head back, chest up as hard as i can…i find this helps me to get the hips leading without really having to “think about it” for what it’s worth i’ve read other articles stating you should stare straight ahead and just squat the damn weight so i think it’s up to each lifter to find that groove

[quote]emiliotso wrote:
What are some standard mental/training tips to help me prevent my squat from becoming a good morning. I don’t round my spine, but my hips seem to come up first, only towards LATE reps, leaving me with a bar I have to rack the rest of the way just using my back. TIA.[/quote]

Read:

Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or go to youtube and watch his videos on teaching the squat.

great link, thanks a bunch. I thought about doing starting strength, but straight bulking is not my goal and I felt like 5/3/1 would let me retain a good fitness base. Rippetoe is the man though.

I hear this guy knows a thing or two about squat technique

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/fix-your-squat-follow-these-3-easy-tips/

Jason

Hahahaha. That shit is quality.

key word: Rippetoe

I love Rippetoe’s no bullshit, no excuse attitude towards training, but I disagree with the way he teaches the Squat. He advises looking down at a spot on the floor, and also advises to lift the elbows up and back throughout the motion. I agree with Jason here, head up, elbows forward under the bar.