Squat Tightness

I have been trying to get stronger on squat for about 6 months now which is about as long as I’ve been training hard and correctly. I do 5x5 on all compounds. For the last month, I have had tightness on the outside of my hips whenever I squat in what I believe are the hip extensors. At first, I just ignored it, but it became more pronounced and it has prevented me from improving my weight and I’ve actually had to go down considerably. I was hoping to get some advice on how to fix this whether by mobility training, stretching, other lifts? Any help would be appreciated. If I should explain more about my workout, let me know.

Yes mobility training and foam rolling.

Read this free doc by Mike Robertson. It’s awesome.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_author/free_emanual

Magnificent Mobility has tons of exercises for hip mobility. Check out the discussion in the Author’s locker Room forum.

Also make sure your form is good. You can find videos on youtube to study.

One other tip for getting stronger. You will need to go heavier than 5x5. Mix it up. Do sets of 3, 2 and even 1. But I’d figure out the discomfort prob first.

I second the suggestion for mobility drills and foam rolling. Stretching is also usually good. As is switching up your lifting routine more than once every six months.

Maybe you need to lay off the squat for a little while, or switch your stance, or do lunges, or something else to stimulate your legs in a different way.

I second the suggestion for mobility drills and foam rolling. Stretching is also usually good. As is switching up your lifting routine more than once every six months.

Maybe you need to lay off the squat for a little while, or switch your stance, or do lunges, or something else to stimulate your legs in a different way.