Squat Technique - Hip Drive

How many guys use hip drive (Rippetoe style) for their squat technique? I just watched a few videos and noticed he emphasises raising the butt first and leaning forward more. I thought raising the butt first was a big no-no for squats even in powerlifting?

Sorry if I sound like a complaining noob, but as I only squat 120kg I’m still pretty naeive when it comes to squat technique. I push the knees out and squat straight down OL style, which basically is all quad, I am thinking sitting back more and using this hip drive will help recruit more muscles and lift more weight.

What do you vets think?

Urghh.

While many beginners get a hard-on for Ripp, he does not deserve the credit he gets imo. Sometimes he is even full of shit (oly wl should squat low bar).

My advice: throw away the overly simplified categories of different squat styles and do what works for you. Also search for successful lifters on the Internet and check out their squat vids. Try out form variations in the gym and find out what works for YOU.

I agree with infinite shore. Squatting is largely an individual thing. The best thing to do is to learn as much as you can about squatting from all kinds of coaches and athletes, and try all sorts of things out until you find what works for you.

Also, although a high bar squat definitely loads your quads a lot more than a lot of lower-bar variations, it is not by any means “all quad.” you can definitely increase how much your use your hips and butt by widening your stance and fighting to drive the knees out. Again, not trying to be annoying and argue technicalities haha, a high bar squat definitely requires strong quads, but it also requires a strong posterior chain - back, ass, hamstrings and all - in order to be really strong and effective.

[quote]N.K. wrote:
I agree with infinite shore. Squatting is largely an individual thing. The best thing to do is to learn as much as you can about squatting from all kinds of coaches and athletes, and try all sorts of things out until you find what works for you.

Also, although a high bar squat definitely loads your quads a lot more than a lot of lower-bar variations, it is not by any means “all quad.” you can definitely increase how much your use your hips and butt by widening your stance and fighting to drive the knees out. Again, not trying to be annoying and argue technicalities haha, a high bar squat definitely requires strong quads, but it also requires a strong posterior chain - back, ass, hamstrings and all - in order to be really strong and effective. [/quote]

One of the fun things about high bar squatting in my opinion is that it carries over to athletic activities like sprinting and taking on sets of stairs really fast by skipping a step or two at a time or jumping higher.

Absolutely agree fletch. The main reason why I switched back to High bar after doing low bar for about a year is that it just made me feel way more athletic. Training only low bar, i started losing flexibility, getting really right hips, and I basically just got better at squatting, nothing else. But squatting high bar I have gained all of that flexibility back, I never stretch and I’m never tight, and it has had way better carryover to things like deadlifts, oly lifts, and just everyday shit. Now not only are my hips strong, but my back, quads, core are all strong too, and I am much faster and more athletic than before.

OP, although the above posters mostly brought up high-bar vs low-bar, the same approach works just within low-bar. I.e. there are a lot of top lifters who squat low-bar who do not do the Rippetoe style. Watch a bunch of videos of top powerlifters across various weight classes (large majority doing low-bar), and you’ll see a lot of variations in low-bar style; but see if you can spot any doing the hip-drive style that Rippetoe advocates.

[quote]grappling_hook wrote:
OP, although the above posters mostly brought up high-bar vs low-bar, the same approach works just within low-bar. I.e. there are a lot of top lifters who squat low-bar who do not do the Rippetoe style. Watch a bunch of videos of top powerlifters across various weight classes (large majority doing low-bar), and you’ll see a lot of variations in low-bar style; but see if you can spot any doing the hip-drive style that Rippetoe advocates.[/quote]

A good point.

Also, what I’ve seen some lifters do is squat mostly high bar, but a few weeks before a comp they start training low-bar. I know Ed Coan used to do this.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Urghh.

While many beginners get a hard-on for Ripp, he does not deserve the credit he gets imo. Sometimes he is even full of shit (oly wl should squat low bar).

My advice: throw away the overly simplified categories of different squat styles and do what works for you. Also search for successful lifters on the Internet and check out their squat vids. Try out form variations in the gym and find out what works for YOU.[/quote]

Successful lifters built like you