Squat Technique Help

Oh yea and did you ever have that butt-wink problem? I’d like to know what you did to get it to stop if you did.

Extensive stretching of the entire lower body and a lot of filming of the technique. Barposition also played a big role, I’m not that HIGH-bar in this video. Something in between high and low. I also did a lot of BW-squatting in front of the mirror.

In my mind, this is not a biceps curls. Squat with heavy weight wont forgive mistakes and it feels so much better with a better technique too.

Doing a halv-assed squat is like consuming only half of the protein shake, just does not make any sense.

I’ve been trying to eliminate my ‘ass-wink’ for a while now. Is there anything you could add onto this for success or give me some feedback? I would love to be able to get to where you are.

• Hip flexor stretching (kneeling)
  • Quad stretching
  • Leg Swings (forward to back for hip flexor & side to side for adductors)
  • Standing Calf Stretches with a baord
  • Self massaging my tib. ant.

Also I notice when I squat if I get my feet wide and toes pointing out, it doesn’t happen. I feel like I am trying to get the butt-wink to vanish when my toes are narrower, and more forward. Aren’t the 2 stances totally different in terms of activating the glutes or hips, and do you think this is a worthwhile goal?

I was going to post my squat technique but I don’t want to be redundant if I can learn here.

I would stretch the entire lower body, so hip extensors, adductors, abductors and rotators.

Mobility exercise can also help.

I also forgot, I did a lot of overhead squatting with a stick, overhead squats is not every forgiving in terms of technque.

Just find a stance where you can squat and work on it? That is my plan for right now at least.

Do you have butt-wink when you front squat btw?

Thankfully I don’t have a butt-wink in front squats. I can find a stance for back squat where it doesnt wink. It is pretty damn wide with my toes out. Do you think that screw up my lower body development long term?

[quote]earthquake wrote:
Thankfully I don’t have a butt-wink in front squats. I can find a stance for back squat where it doesnt wink. It is pretty damn wide with my toes out. Do you think that screw up my lower body development long term?
[/quote]

I just started out with squat, so I’ve no idea man. Someone with more experience will have to chime in on this one.

But you will have to define “pretty damn wide”. In this video I’m standing shoulder width. What depth are you hitting by the way? Can you clearly see where your back goes from “okay-aligmnet” to wink?

I’ve tendency to butt-wink even in front squat by the way.

Try to film it, will be a good learning opportunity for everyone :slight_smile:

[quote]mr popular wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
Hey man, Your form looks good to me. I could be wrong, but i just noticed on the last rep, you were starting to lean in a bit. try lifting your head up and looking toward the ceiling also.

Otherwise, Great Form[/quote]

I would echo what Sarev0k is saying here.

You want your chin up and eyes on a point above your head at all times. Don’t look at the ground or let your neck sag. Remember: Your body will follow whatever your head is doing, so get your head going up and back on the concentric part of the movement.

Also, on the way up you don’t want to think about extending your legs, you want to think about extending your hips, or rather - pushing your hips straight forward and pulling your shoulders straight back - in order to lock it out. This while help you to use stronger muscle groups like the glutes rather than a weak link like the lower back.[/quote]

about the look up part:
This is from Wendlers 5/3/1/

• Your eyes should be focused. Some people believe you should look straight up when
    you squat. These people arenâ??t good to listen to. Your eyes should be directed straight
    ahead or just slightly downward. Donâ??t take your eyes off the point you choose. Pick
    something, and stare at it intently. Even if thereâ??s movement and distractions around this
    point, they shouldnâ??t stop your stare. This is how focused you have to be.

I’m a noob at this. So can someone more experienced clear this out for me?
I’ve been following Wendlers form without any probs so far.

About head positioning, this might be helpful.

OP’s knees are coming forward a lit bit because of his weightlifting shoes, I think.
If you keep trying to weigh on your heels throughout the movement and keep tension on your glutes and hamstrings, there would be no problem.
Why don’t you post on O-lifter’s forum?
Of course they may talk about your shallow depth, lol.

Hahah, I think they might. But if I go any lower I will butt-wink :slight_smile:

I’ll try to squat without O-shoes and see how it looks.

Thanks for the link, will check it out with I get back home :slight_smile:

for the sake of bodybuilding purposes, isn’t that depth sufficient? im really asking this.