Squat Rx #5: Hip/Hamstring Mobility

How about a vid on shoulder/upper back mobility? Or whatever would help when doing overhead squats. I always feel like I lean forward too much, can’t really do heavier weights because I feel like I’m gonna fall forward.

I ended up throwing away a lot of shoulder mobility stuff as I edited down SQ Rx #5.

Actually, I’d like to do some videos focusing on that, but I didn’t know how relevant they’d be to squatting.

A video about overhead squatting exclusively might not be a bad idea, but I know a lot of people who squat won’t have much of an interest or need for them.

[quote]Boris B wrote:
A video about overhead squatting exclusively might not be a bad idea, but I know a lot of people who squat won’t have much of an interest or need for them.[/quote]

IMHO, almost everyone needs overhead squat work - it blasts the whole freakin core. I love them.

Maybe a “common problems encountered” video - leaning too far forward, getting stuck in the whole, etc.??

[quote]Boris B wrote:
Thanks.

I’ve read some of Stuart McGill’s stuff on lower back and liked most of it.

I guess my non-MD opinion based on nothing except personal observation and experience would be that, in life, you twist… A LOT. Slow and controlled windshield wipers don’t seem to be that stressful to me, but hey, what the hell do I know?

I’m kind of glad to see that it is controversial, to be honest. There’s a lot of contradictory info out there - I was just looking over Steven Stark’s book on stretching again, for example, and, although he doesn’t come out and say it directly, it’s pretty clear he’s not a fan of ballistic and dynamic stretching. In fact, if you were to read his book and then go to any traditional martial arts class, you’d probably be wondering why they all aren’t hobbled or paralyzed by the stretching routines they follow…

I don’t know the answer. I just hope everyone will take away something from each of the vids and throw away what they don’t agree with or don’t need.[/quote]

Boris, I think you hit it when you said, “controversial.” I have used the wipers myself and enjoy them. They do make me feel better. However, like you mentioned, it is slow and controlled and I try to make sure it is my hips doing the work. It was difficult at first but I have improved.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and share your opinion.

Keep up the great video work. I’m using your tips and seeing some areas that I need to work on.

Arioch