T Nation

Squat Rep Off

I know this isn't exactly powerlifting related but I'll be competing in a bodyweight squat rep off on the 13th of June. I'll be adding in a bit more volume work into my next cycle of 5/3/1 to better adapt to the squat rep off. Is there any way to warm up for a rep off? I was thinking I would warm up to maybe 1.5 times my bodyweight for 3 reps and proceed to do the rep off after that.

Does rep off mean as many reps as possible, or something else?

If it’s the former, just warm-up like you would any other training day.

Just make sure your body is “awake” and ready to go, I know for me sometimes when im still warming up with a few plates it takes me a couple of sets to feel in the groove and ready to move weight. Say your BW is like 185 which by your picture seems around there, maybe do 225 for a couple reps first, so if it were me yes I would do the plan you laid out. Try to build on it from now until then, maybe one week do it for 10 reps or whatever, then next week try 12 and so on

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Does rep off mean as many reps as possible, or something else?

If it’s the former, just warm-up like you would any other training day.[/quote]

Yep. I mean as many reps as possible.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Just make sure your body is “awake” and ready to go, I know for me sometimes when im still warming up with a few plates it takes me a couple of sets to feel in the groove and ready to move weight. Say your BW is like 185 which by your picture seems around there, maybe do 225 for a couple reps first, so if it were me yes I would do the plan you laid out. Try to build on it from now until then, maybe one week do it for 10 reps or whatever, then next week try 12 and so on[/quote]

I’m more like 165 but I’ll take that as a compliment.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Try to build on it from now until then, maybe one week do it for 10 reps or whatever, then next week try 12 and so on[/quote]

Last time I watched a competition like this between a couple guys, both got over 100 I believe. Very deep squats too. Most I’ve ever done with my bodyweight is around 40.
The point being, if it were me, I’d probably start with a few more reps than 10 (if possible) in my training. I’d probably also try to push the volume faster than just by 2 reps per session, at least as much as I could until I stopped seeing progress. The quicker you can build conditioning for an event like this, the better. It will give you more practice at higher reps early on in your prep.

Good luck OP :slight_smile:

Dear lord 40-100, I guess I dont have any context for it though since I weight a shit ton and the most reps I usually do for anything is 20-25.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Dear lord 40-100, I guess I dont have any context for it though since I weight a shit ton and the most reps I usually do for anything is 20-25.[/quote]

Yea, weighing sub 200, I can do that kind of thing. I imagine it’s much tougher at your size. The guys I mentioned hit like 100 and 120ish I believe. One used 185 and one used 195, if I remember correctly.

That being said, the OP may not be up against such tough competition. Who knows.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:
Dear lord 40-100, I guess I dont have any context for it though since I weight a shit ton and the most reps I usually do for anything is 20-25.[/quote]

Yea, weighing sub 200, I can do that kind of thing. I imagine it’s much tougher at your size. The guys I mentioned hit like 100 and 120ish I believe. One used 185 and one used 195, if I remember correctly.

That being said, the OP may not be up against such tough competition. Who knows.[/quote]

As far as I remember, the person who won last year got a total of 73 reps so… Probably not as crazy as 100 plus.

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:

That being said, the OP may not be up against such tough competition. Who knows.[/quote]

As far as I remember, the person who won last year got a total of 73 reps so… Probably not as crazy as 100 plus.[/quote]

73 is a pretty big number too.

I’ve found, at least for me, that these high rep squats require really really good conditioning. Better conditioning than what I have. As I mentioned, I’ve done 185 for 40ish, and I’ve also done 315 for 20. In both cases, leg strength was not the limiting factor. My lungs were on fire, and I felt like I was on the verge of passing out. I would suggest doing as much conditioning work as possible on days you’re not squatting to improve this for yourself, if this happens to be your limiting factor as well.

I wonder if you can treat this like a push up training program. I’ve seen one for a 6 week progression to get to 100 reps (hundredpushups dot com). It’s a ton of volume but maybe you can focus on 6 weeks of high volume for squatting and you’ll likely get stronger when transitioning back to more intensity.

If I were competing for this, I would run the 5/3/1 BBB and only keep my heavy work to the minimum required reps. Instead of the 5x10 assistance I would use the rep scheme from the push up training program for the body weight squats. That would provide A LOT of practice for staying tight and engaging the right muscles for the squat. It would be Monday- 5/3/1 Squat + BW Squat, Wednesday- BW Squat, Friday- 5/3/1 Deadlift + BW Squat. If the training max isn’t too heavy then two 5/3/1 cycles should fit in 6 weeks without having to deload.

I don’t know how serious you are about devoting most of your training towards that competition but I think that it would actually benefit in allowing you to get a lot of practice with bar/body control, as long as you’re treating the body weight squats like they are heavy weights.