Squat Reducing Height

During the last year and a half i’ve been doing alot more squat and i lost about 1 inch (went from 5’10 to 5’9). Is it common ?
I go to a chiro oftently and mostly everything is alright and my vertebrae are not compressed or anything.

I would like to hear from someone that experienced the same kind of problem.

damn…that sucks. but i think its more logical that you just measured wrong. i mean what about a squat could make you shorter. its not like your bones are shrinking.

Wait… you got shorter??? How bizarre… How sure are you that you actually lost an inch? How do you know it’s not a measuring error (then or now)?

JMb

When you squat, your spine is compressed. I doubt that has enough of an effect to make you shorter, but maybe?

[quote]Hekk wrote:
During the last year and a half i’ve been doing alot more squat and i lost about 1 inch (went from 5’10 to 5’9). Is it common ?
I go to a chiro oftently and mostly everything is alright and my vertebrae are not compressed or anything.

[/quote]

My second year anatomy states that we start losing height and integrity in the vertebral disks as early as thirty years of age. This put at at higher risk for injury (Bulging/Herniated Disks) as age progesses. Form should be an issue for these excersizes.

ThePope

[quote]ThePope wrote:
Hekk wrote:

My second year anatomy states that we start losing height and integrity in the vertebral disks as early as thirty years of age. This put at at higher risk for injury (Bulging/Herniated Disks) as age progesses. Form should be an issue for these excersizes.

ThePope[/quote]

Most people experience some form of herniation as they age as far as vertebral disks. However, to claim a loss of an inch in a healthy human being in a year’s time is beyond strange. Either this guy has a serious bone disease, and undiagnosed herniation, or he simply measured wrong. Considering he claims no other symptoms, my guess is he measured wrong which most guys do.

I definitely ‘shrink’ when doing heavy squat sets.
If its 10x3 or similar, the first few sets are easy to re-rack. By the last set, I’m bumping into the J-hooks!!!

However, I’m still the same height when I start my next workout - its just a temporary thing.

I can’t imagine you really get shorter.

If the first measurement was in the morning, and the 2nd late in the day esp. after working out, there will be a difference.

Plus, you’d have to measure it exactly the same way to know.

My height measurements are always off, within about an inch but never the same. It does not mean I’m changing height!

I have to admit after thinking a little more about it that the “time of the day” factor could have been an issue.

Maybe the lordose (curve of the lower back) has gotten better (thats what the chiro told me) with my squats and deadlift so physically speaking, if you bend backward you loose height.

Anyway, i thanks for the info.