T Nation

Squat Rack

i need a cheap squat rack or power rack that i can use for squatting at home. also, it has to be able to use a non olympic bar, because all my weights are non-olympic. also, just outta curiousity, how much weight can a chrome 15 lb. non-olympic bar usually handle?

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and you can purchase a pair of adjustable, metal sawhorses for about 20.00 each. They become sort of an ajustable power rack, but can also be used for bench pressing, rack work, dips, etc. I used a pair in my garage before I purchased a power rack and I still use them today.

Keith

I’ve heard that you aren’t suppose to put more than 200 lbs on a standard bar.

[quote]maverick_ace wrote:
i need a cheap squat rack or power rack that i can use for squatting at home. also, it has to be able to use a non olympic bar, because all my weights are non-olympic. also, just outta curiousity, how much weight can a chrome 15 lb. non-olympic bar usually handle?[/quote]

Hey man,

I’m going to be moving soon, and I won’t be able to use my power rack for a while. I got mine from NY Barbells, and I’d be willing to work out a fair price for both of us if you live in/near NY (Albany)… PM me if you’re interested.

Kyle

There are some “non-commercial” quality Squat racks on the market, Impex makes one that is reasonable (between $100 and $200). Check around your local sporting goods stores. As far as how much weight can go on a standard bar, they normall don’t snap untill you get 300 lbs. on them. But, that is something I don’t suggest…

maveric_ace,

you might want to look into “Powerline” equipment. This is “body Solid’s” generic line of equipment. I just put together a home gym using (among other things)their power rack, lat pull down/w low pully, and seated calf machine. I know you can get more solid equipment rated for higher weight, but I’m actually very pleased with the quality of the equipment–especially for the price. The power rack is rated for 500lbs.–which means it can probably actually handle 600lbs. Anyway, 500lbs. works for me!

You can get the power rack delivered to your door for $250.00. Check out www.discountfitnessoutlet.com. They have great customer service and very fast order processing/shipping.

I have to say, setting up a home gym is the best thing I’ve done for my progress–ever–period!

Hope that helps. Good luck,

Crowbar

well, i live in delaware, so NY is kinda out of my travelling way. thanks for the tips guys, there were some good ones, but from the sounds of it, i’d be better to just make a cheap crossover to olympic weights. does anyone know if that gold’s gym olympic weight bench from wal mart (hold’s 310 lbs. max, lat pull down, leg developer, and high enough weight rests for squatting) is worth its money. considering that, where could i get a cheap olympic weight and bar set?

[quote]Invincible wrote:
I’ve heard that you aren’t suppose to put more than 200 lbs on a standard bar.[/quote]

I’ve heard the same.

[quote]maverick_ace wrote:
well, i live in delaware, so NY is kinda out of my travelling way. thanks for the tips guys, there were some good ones, but from the sounds of it, i’d be better to just make a cheap crossover to olympic weights. does anyone know if that gold’s gym olympic weight bench from wal mart (hold’s 310 lbs. max, lat pull down, leg developer, and high enough weight rests for squatting) is worth its money. considering that, where could i get a cheap olympic weight and bar set?[/quote]

I have Weider junk, but it does the trick. I picked it up at Sears for a few hundred bucks. Then, I went to Dick’s for my Olympic weights. Some super walmarts have Olympic weights, but they are complete crap.

Note: The Weider squat rack does get a bit wobbley when I throw a lot of weight on and have to hit the hooks quick.