Squat Rack Curls: Who's Guilty?

What I really loved was the other day was both squats were being used, I think one for curls. No biggie as I wanted to bench press.

We have 6 flat benches. 5 were being used and as I was walking to the last unused one, a guy got there before me and he used it to do curls.

intended use? what the fuck does that mean? if i use the sqaut rack for curls that means im using it, plain and simple, so wait your turn.

should i give the ez bar that im using for skull crushers to some guy whos waiting at the preacher stand becuase that is the ez bars “intended use?” he can wait his damn turn.

and if i want to do kickback (which i dont do) with the seated cable row, should i let the guy who wants it for its “intended use” use it before me? he can wait his damn turn.

what if im doing close grip and theres a guy who wants to bench press, should i let him use it becuase of its “intended use?” your all on crack.

there are pleny of other examples…

just because people dont do things the same way you do, doesnt mean its wrong.

the idea of being innovative in the gym is to be creative and implement new plausible ideas. so all you old farts why not rewind the clock back a few decades back to the time when you had an immagination, and think of a few new workouts that use things that are not for their “intended use.”

you might just break that platuae that youve been stuck at since you hit middle age.

It depends though, at my gym we have ONE squat rack and near 10 benches several incline and some military press stations. All of those have barbells. So if your using the only place in the gym that I can squat in to do high rep curls, then your being an asshole.

Use the barbells that are all over the gym, and stop being a bitch and pick it up. Or use the rest of the gym that is designed for curls.

Every gym is different though and maybe some people don’t squat, but I squat at the same time every 3 days so it annoys the shit out of me when someone is using it for curls. I usually stare at them very awkwardly hovering over them till they finish.

It’s not about being innovative. It’s about being respectful to others.

There’s nothing innovative about using a squat rack for curling. You simply take the bar somewhere else to do a curl.

If there’s 1-2 squat racks and they’re being used all the time by tards then it’s hard to do squats.

Granted, if someone has a physique like yours, I get less aggravated, because at least you can tell they put forth effort, but at the same time it’s still annoying.

What if all the squat racks and cages are being used and I ask to work in with you for 3 sets at a lighter weight, Would you let me?

SRC’s annoy people who want to squat. Sure, they have a right to use that space, but it’s not required to safely perform that exercise. You can do a curl ANYWHERE that there is room to stand pretty much.

A heavy squat, not so much. Your examples you posted aren’t applicable because those all ARE intended uses for those devices. A power rack/squat rack is designed to let people squat heavy weights safely. They can’t squat without a rack.

If you only had one bar that could handle over 200lbs and someone was using it for curls when you wanted to squat, wouldn’t you be annoyed? If you can say yes, you’re either lying or in a very small minority.

If you had a parking lot with 20 small motorcycle spots and one spot for a car and people had parked their motorcycles in the car spot, would you not be annoyed?

Those are my counter-examples. They’re not meant to be logical, just applicable to the situation.

I cannot believe some of the things on this thread.

If you cannot bend the fuck over and pick up a barbell, then maybe, just maybe you should pick up another hobby.

If you persist, try sitting your (super duper, too heavy to pick off the floor) barbell on a bench or platform.

Curling in the squat rack is both lame and for the Gheys.

For the love of christ…sack the fuck up.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
SRC’s annoy people who want to squat. Sure, they have a right to use that space, but it’s not required to safely perform that exercise. You can do a curl ANYWHERE that there is room to stand pretty much.[/quote]

I disagree, here’s a video showing the average squat rack curler plying his trade sans the rack: weight lifting accident - YouTube

As you can see, there’s more than etiquette to worry about – it’s a safety issue. Also, performing that exercise without a proper weightlifting belt and pair of gloves almost guarantees injury down the road.

Next time some bastard is curling the bar with no weights, try to put yourself is his shoes.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
intended use? what the fuck does that mean? if i use the sqaut rack for curls that means im using it, plain and simple, so wait your turn.[/quote]

Squat. Rack. Get it?

[quote]should i give the ez bar that im using for skull crushers to some guy whos waiting at the preacher stand becuase that is the ez bars “intended use?” he can wait his damn turn.

and if i want to do kickback (which i dont do) with the seated cable row, should i let the guy who wants it for its “intended use” use it before me? he can wait his damn turn.

what if im doing close grip and theres a guy who wants to bench press, should i let him use it becuase of its “intended use?” your all on crack.

there are pleny of other examples…

just because people dont do things the same way you do, doesnt mean its wrong.

the idea of being innovative in the gym is to be creative and implement new plausible ideas. so all you old farts why not rewind the clock back a few decades back to the time when you had an immagination, and think of a few new workouts that use things that are not for their “intended use.”

you might just break that platuae that youve been stuck at since you hit middle age.

[/quote]

What the hell crawled up your ass and died?

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
I cannot believe some of the things on this thread.

If you cannot bend the fuck over and pick up a barbell, then maybe, just maybe you should pick up another hobby.

If you persist, try sitting your (super duper, too heavy to pick off the floor) barbell on a bench or platform.

Curling in the squat rack is both lame and for the Gheys.

For the love of christ…sack the fuck up.

[/quote]

i can, but its a matter of convienience. pick up 160+lbs waist high, or pick it up in one of the few areas where there is room for an 8ft peice of metal to sit, and curl while your in everyones way.

the gym i work out in there are 2 sqat racks and 2 benches. on your average day where do you see more people? benches, or squat racks? benches is my answere.

also another matter of convienience, why would i straddle a foot wide padded bench when i could curl at a comfortable foot width?

im not saying that if there was a powerlifter eyeing my squat rack i wouldnt happilly move for him to use it, but if your average joe MONDAY night lifter came in, i wouldnt move.

im at the rack for maybe 10-15 min doing 5-6set of curls. if you really need the rack that bad, go get a drink of water or go put some looser panties on, maybe the cotton ones that are more breathable. and ill be done by then.

It’s called a SQUAT rack for a reason ya know.

:confused:

If a guy is curling 160, I’m not gonna rag on him for using a squat rack :shrug:

power rack, squat rack?
ez curl bar, not a ez skull crusher bar.
bench press, not a close grip press
seated cable row, not cable kickbacks.
cable lat pulldown, not cable tricep extentions
leg press, not calf raises

utillity

there are many things that are used for different purposes.

what are you all going to be against next? maybe that im using your dumbbell press bench for my pec fly?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
It’s called a SQUAT rack for a reason ya know.

:/[/quote]

i thought you of all people might be a little more open minded.

[quote]MsM wrote:
Dylanj wrote:
What the hell crawled up your ass and died?[/quote]

wrong comeback :slight_smile:

im not a very serious person, even though it may seem that way, so dont take anything personally.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
i thought you of all people might be a little more open minded.[/quote]

True, but if you’re curling ridiculous amounts of weight and you’ve been training every part of your body, then I’d expect you to be able to pick the weight up. It’s not like you’ll hurt your self curling without a rack.

Squatting on the other hand (with serious weight) would require some sort of safety measure.

Also, you know a squat rack and power rack are different, right? Or am I thinking of a power cage?

Wait, back up… I’m open minded?

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
MsM wrote:
Dylanj wrote:

wrong comeback :)[/quote]

Did something crawl out and die? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
MsM wrote:
Dylanj wrote:

wrong comeback :slight_smile:

im not a very serious person, even though it may seem that way, so dont take anything personally.[/quote]

It was not a comeback, at the time, I was being serious.

My apologies if you were kidding but it did come across as very arrogant (to me)…especially when you’re asking people if they’re on crack and to wait their turn, too bad.

Do not take 99% of what I say seriously either. Please, though, if I need to use the squat rack, let me, I suck at them and I need it.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Dylanj wrote:
Also, you know a squat rack and power rack are different, right? Or am I thinking of a power cage?[/quote]

i always thought they were the same. maybe im wrong.

[quote]
Wait, back up… I’m open minded?[/quote]

hah no idea, i was just pushing your buttons.

I do but only becuase I curl more than most the guys in my gym squat…and if someone wanted to squat I would move out…