T Nation

Squat Rack Curls On Purpose

So I’m the only one at my gym who uses the power rack(s) at all. For some crazy reason I did 4-5 sets of squat rack curls today following some close grip bench. I didn’t really give a shit what anyone in the gym thought and for me its actually really convenient to curl there. Also, the exercise felt different than the average shorter curl bar.

Thoughts on people who do this?

IMO just a bad habit to get into and something I just cant bring myself to do and I w/o at home in my own rack etc. I take the bar out of the rack and do BB curls there. But hell if it floats your boat and your 100% sure your not hinder someone from doing real work knock your self out,

Phill

Yea, I see it more as a mindset thing. I always use an Olympic bar to curl, but I never ever use the squat rack. I guess when I am at the gym my mindset is always making everything as difficult as possible, not the easiest way to do something.

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
So I’m the only one at my gym who uses the power rack(s) at all. For some crazy reason I did 4-5 sets of squat rack curls today following some close grip bench. I didn’t really give a shit what anyone in the gym thought and for me its actually really convenient to curl there. Also, the exercise felt different than the average shorter curl bar.

Thoughts on people who do this? [/quote]

If you are truly the only one that uses the racks, then set a good example. Let people see you using it for what it was made for.

Curls with the O-bar are great, but doing curls in the rack just because you don’t care what others think is asinine.

If you can curl it, you can deadlift it. The reason people are upset about curling in the rack is because it’s inconsiderate if someone was waiting to squat. If nobody is around, then fine.

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
So I’m the only one at my gym who uses the power rack(s) at all. For some crazy reason I did 4-5 sets of squat rack curls today following some close grip bench. I didn’t really give a shit what anyone in the gym thought and for me its actually really convenient to curl there. Also, the exercise felt different than the average shorter curl bar.

Thoughts on people who do this? [/quote]

I would be embarrassed to curl there. There is a whole thread here about how annoying it is when you want to squat and some guy who doesn’t give a shit is curling there.

My thoughts are you’re an asshole.

You know you make God cry everytime you do that, right?

I’ll be quiet now.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
If you can curl it, you can deadlift it. The reason people are upset about curling in the rack is because it’s inconsiderate if someone was waiting to squat. If nobody is around, then fine.[/quote]

Perfect. I dont think its really a big deal as long as no body is around and wants to squat. I do it every so often as long as no one is around, and I constantly make sure no one is looking in the area waiting to squat. Other then that I usually just place it on the floor and pick it up though

Ahh, I knew this would stir up controversy. Anyway, I don’t normally curl in the squat rack and I’d let someone use the rack if I was only doing curls.

Thing is, almost everyone in the gym never uses the racks and I find it hilarious, since the day I went to do the curls it was mainly because the whole “curling area” was packed.

my routine consists of a lot of rowing, benching, squatting, and deadlifting anyway. So I think I will continue curling in the squat rack. :slight_smile:

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
Ahh, I knew this would stir up controversy. Anyway, I don’t normally curl in the squat rack and I’d let someone use the rack if I was only doing curls.

Thing is, almost everyone in the gym never uses the racks and I find it hilarious, since the day I went to do the curls it was mainly because the whole “curling area” was packed.

my routine consists of a lot of rowing, benching, squatting, and deadlifting anyway. So I think I will continue curling in the squat rack. :)[/quote]

And then everyone else will start curling in the squat rack because the curling area is full. Then no one will know what the squat racks are for. And then you will have a Planet Fitness where no one can squat, deadlift, grunt or even break a sweat. Don’t be that guy.

I fart in crowded public places.

I’m usually considerate and say excuse me when I burp, so I don’t care what people think when I fart around them.

I earn the right to be rude and inconsiderate because I say excuse me when I burp.

Is it wrong of me to do my lunges and step-ups in a squat rack? There is no where else for me to do them. There are about 3 people in my gym who actually squat and they use the only power rack in the gym.

There’s something about curling with an olympic bar that feels different than the standard shorter ones for curling. I can’t really pinpoint it though.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I fart in crowded public places.

I’m usually considerate and say excuse me when I burp, so I don’t care what people think when I fart around them.

I earn the right to be rude and inconsiderate because I say excuse me when I burp.[/quote]

Nice.

I really dont see the big deal. Its equipment to help better your body. Yes its ment for squats, but if no one is using it. Do what ever the hell you want on it

The only plausible reason to curl in the squat rack is if you curl so much that you can’t use any of the pre-made barbells typically available. At my gym that would be anything over 120lbs. Even then it’s frowned upon. If no one else even uses the rack at your gym though, chances are they all think that’s what it’s supposed to be used for anyway.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I’ve made the decision to continue curling in the squat rack. Thanks for your input everyone.

At my gym, there is one squat rack. So it breaks my heart when some guy is curling or doing pullups there :’(