T Nation

Squat Rack/Bench Recommendations

Hi.

I am about to start purchasing equipment, so I can start training in my basement again. I was looking at the power racks, but seen that they might take up a little to much room in my basement. So I was looking at some other options. I was thinking about getting some squat stands, and a bench. Actually here is a link to the squat stand, and bench I am talking about: http://bodybuildingequipment.ericsgym.com/benchpress/squatrack/index.htm

Then I was going to go ahead, and get the Pillars of Power from iron mind. I was just wanting to know if you guy’s might recommend something like this, or if you might have some other recommendations?

Hi,

My humble opion on this is that that bench is suitable for a basement gym if you are regularly working out with somebody else who can spot you.

If not, you need the safety bars from a power rack for some measure of safety. Plus it will allow you to push yourself more without the fear of getting crushed by the weight.

If height is an issure you can get a rack like this.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html

This is the sumo rack, the other one like this is smaller. Good luck, red.

Sounds like a good combo, but I would probably invest a little more into the quality of the squat stand and bench than the ones you linked us to. The extra money will be worth it in the long run.

Are you looking at this as your primary training facility or as a fall-back for when you can’t make the gym?

http://www.williamsstrength.com/

seems pretty good for barebones training equipment

[quote]Mark111 wrote:

Then I was going to go ahead, and get the Pillars of Power from iron mind. I was just wanting to know if you guy’s might recommend something like this, or if you might have some other recommendations?[/quote]

the squat stand in the link looks a bit iffy, especially if you’re going to be slamming heavy weight in and out of the rack. I have the ironmind pillars and squat stands. Well worth the money. I’ve dumped 700+ pound squats on the pillars several times and they are standing strong. the squat stands are the same quality material and are also holding up well.

What is the height of your ceiling in the basement? I just bought a rack for basement and I am very happy with it.

If you were looking to spend the money to get the pillars of power from ironmind, I would suggest that over the squat rack in the link.

[quote]redroast wrote:
Hi,

My humble opion on this is that that bench is suitable for a basement gym if you are regularly working out with somebody else who can spot you.

If not, you need the safety bars from a power rack for some measure of safety. Plus it will allow you to push yourself more without the fear of getting crushed by the weight.

If height is an issure you can get a rack like this.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html

This is the sumo rack, the other one like this is smaller. Good luck, red.[/quote]

Well I was going to get the Pillars of Power from iron mind which actually are supposed to catch the weight if you was to drop it.

I was actually thinking about getting that rack. No it is not the height of the rack, it’s more of the space it might be taking up. I have some other things in my basement also, and I am not sure how much space it will be taking up.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I might just go with the sumo rack.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Mark111 wrote:

Then I was going to go ahead, and get the Pillars of Power from iron mind. I was just wanting to know if you guy’s might recommend something like this, or if you might have some other recommendations?

the squat stand in the link looks a bit iffy, especially if you’re going to be slamming heavy weight in and out of the rack. I have the ironmind pillars and squat stands. Well worth the money. I’ve dumped 700+ pound squats on the pillars several times and they are standing strong. the squat stands are the same quality material and are also holding up well.[/quote]

After looking around at some of the power racks. I think I might be able to get one to fit in my basement. I have heard alot of good things about the iron mind Pillars, and squat stands also.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
What is the height of your ceiling in the basement? I just bought a rack for basement and I am very happy with it.[/quote]

I was looking to get a power rack that was a height of around 85" or so. After looking around though, I should be able to fit one in my basement.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
If you were looking to spend the money to get the pillars of power from ironmind, I would suggest that over the squat rack in the link. [/quote]

The Pillars of Power are more for when you drop the weight. I don’t think they are for doing squats ect. off of.

Like I said, I should be able to get a power rack in my basement. The thing is should I go with that sumo rack, or a power rack. I don’t think I really need the chin-up- pull-up part, as I have some training rings that I put around a I-beam in my basement to do chin-ups, and pull-ups on. Any recommendations as to which one might be more beneficial?