Squat Question

Hello.

Having recently learnt to squat (more or less, lol), I’ve come to a certain problem.

I squat ATG, and at about a third of the way up my body activates the buttocks and my quads don’t seem to get as much stimulation as they probably could if I fixed this problem.
I hope that made sense.

I think this is obviously a postural issue, but as I don’t have a spotter, it’s difficult for me to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

You might try different foot spacings, and foot angles, raising your heels slightly, as well as more flexability training. Also, depending on whether you bend from the knees or hips first and sit back or sit down, sit between your legs or behind them… Many of us found box squats very helpful in improving our squat form (while insuring we were really going as deep as we wanted on every rep).

the bottom position is more about your glutes/hamstrings/lower back (often refered to as the posterior chain) if thats where your feeling it that doesnt mean your doing it wrong it just means your glutes are weak compared to your quads.

That is what is great about squats they work everything in your lower body hard. Treat them as such and you will reap the benifits.

That’s exactly how you should be squatting. Follow it up with something like step ups or lunges to hit the quads more. You could try front squats too.

Thanks everyone so much for your replies!

New to the forum and just getting into the basic powerlifting lifts (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press). Just recently added a power rack and 2 300 pound Olympic weight sets to my home gym. Anyhow, this seems like the best place to ask this questions. I am thinking about getting a Safety Squat Bar. I have several questions concerning it.

1. Where is the best place to get one at a good price (I am only 5’7", 165# so the smaller one should be sufficient)?

2. Can these be used for calf raises if one has a suitable block? I would think the ability to support yourself with your hands would allow on to get up on a block, which would be impossible with just a straight bar.

Thanks for any help.

[quote]BigDaddyT wrote:
New to the forum and just getting into the basic powerlifting lifts (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press). Just recently added a power rack and 2 300 pound Olympic weight sets to my home gym. Anyhow, this seems like the best place to ask this questions. I am thinking about getting a Safety Squat Bar. I have several questions concerning it.

1. Where is the best place to get one at a good price (I am only 5’7", 165# so the smaller one should be sufficient)?

2. Can these be used for calf raises if one has a suitable block? I would think the ability to support yourself with your hands would allow on to get up on a block, which would be impossible with just a straight bar.

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

The safety squat bar is great-one size only i think, buy it from elitefts.com. It can be used for calf raises, step ups, back extensions, whatever. I’d rather spend the money on a G/H bench though…