T Nation

Squat Question, Weak Glutes?

-using starting strength with decent gains thus far. whenever i squat heavy i feel alot of the weight on my lower back, and feel my knees coming inwards when in the hole.

is this a glute weakness? (ive added in a few glute activation exercises to do before squatting)
or just a lower back weakness? (used to have severe anterior pelvic tilt, so the lower back would round whereas now its much more straight. maybe its just not used to heavy loads in this position)

post a vid

How much of a beginner are you? This is common if you’ve never lifted before.

Keep chest high, don’t focus so much on pushing hips back or keeping knees from coming past toes…this can place stress on your low back and cause your torso to be too leaned forward. Focus simply on staying on your heels, chest up, hips between knees, hamstrings on calves (or at least close). For knees caving in, focus on trying to spread your feet/knees apart as you come up out of the hole and DRIVE through you heels, force neck into the bar and grab the bar hard and push up on the bar…

That should help…

Read the article Third World Squat by Craig Weller. It helped my squat form tremendously. My squats went up 30 percent in just a few workouts. Hope it helps!

ive recorded myself squatting just now. trying to upload the video but it wont play on my pc, ill try to go straight into youtube to see if that works. either way, i can see where im going wrong- lower back just rounds off at the bottom of the squat.

found this, im sure itll be helpful. (what happens to his lower back in his 1st squat example is practically what i do). any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated. -ill try to get my video to upload if possible, and will stick on here when i do-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOCdqAha8ko

the video link worked through youtube. again, all comments and help is welcome!

Your form is much better than mine was… looks like tight hip flexors. Try the sprinter’s stretch.

Raise your safety bars. They won’t do you much good that low. Think of reaching back with your butt to sit on a low stool. Keep the shoulders peeled back and the chest forward. That mshould help to keep your back straight.

TNT

would it be advisable to maybe stay away from squats until this is sorted?
-ill try stretching hip flexors throughout the day, and hold the 3rd world squat position now and then.

the safety bars are normally set higher to a point where they’ll come nto play if need be. weight i was using wasnt anything heavy so i wasnt gonna fail a lift or anything. thanks all the same :slight_smile:

There is nothing wrong with your form. If you pause that vid when you hit parallel, your body position looks perfect.

Your problem is that your trying to squat really low with a stance width that won’t allow it. Full squat stance is much narrower than PL squat stance. In addition to that, I’m not sure your posterior chain flexibility will let you go that low without rounding your back anyway.

You look to be about my height. Try this: Set up a box or a bungee cord (or anything really) that’s about 14" high. Squat until your ass barely touches it, then drive out of the hole. Video it again and look at the difference.

There is nothing wrong with your form. If you pause that vid when you hit parallel, your body position looks perfect.

Your problem is that your trying to squat really low with a stance width that won’t allow it. Full squat stance is much narrower than PL squat stance. In addition to that, I’m not sure your posterior chain flexibility will let you go that low without rounding your back anyway.

You look to be about my height. Try this: Set up a box or a bungee cord (or anything really) that’s about 14" high. Squat until your ass barely touches it, then drive out of the hole. Video it again and look at the difference.

Dammit.

[quote]simpyindi wrote:
-using starting strength with decent gains thus far. whenever i squat heavy i feel alot of the weight on my lower back, and feel my knees coming inwards when in the hole.

is this a glute weakness? (ive added in a few glute activation exercises to do before squatting)
or just a lower back weakness? (used to have severe anterior pelvic tilt, so the lower back would round whereas now its much more straight. maybe its just not used to heavy loads in this position)
[/quote]

Well feeling squats in your lower back isn’t nessecarily a bad thing. THe kness coming in is what is concerning. Possible overactive muscles
TFL
Calves
Hamstrings

Yeah, your glutes are probably weak. Try some isometric exercises too.  

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[/quote]
x2…I mean 3

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Dammit.[/quote]

cheers for the input. ill try narrowing my stance and see what it does to my back, and also try my wider stance but only hitting parallel.

EDITED IN: i just tried my usual stance squat in my room with a webcam to check form, only going to parallel and not as low as i did in the video, and things look alot better. im still going to start and work through the 3rd world squat article notes, because i think it will be a good goal to achieve.
appreciate all the help provided!