Squat Programming

I would like to get some outside input on progressing in the squat over the next few months. My current PR Back Squat is 150kg’s and I would like to progress up to 180kg’s over the next couple of months while continuing to train the olympic lifts 4x’s per week and doing a 3x5 (3 times per week) linear progression on my extremely week press.

I have made pretty good progress up from 135kg’s in the squat over the last month or so squatting with triples and doubles up to a 1 rep max several times a week, with 1 or 2 5 x 5 days @ about 70%, but this has been pretty disorganized and more instinctual training.

the rest of my training (minus the squats) looks something like this…

Day 1: Snatch - Warmup sets - 3 x 3 @ 50kg, work sets 4-6 x 3 @ 60 - 70 kg, singles up to a max (current max snatch is 80 kg)
Cleans - 5 x 2 (90 kg)
Snatch Deads or High Pulls - 3 x 5

Day 2: Press - Warmups @ 50kg, 3 x 5 work sets trying to add weight every workout
Chins or Rows 3 x 10

Day 3: C & J - warmup sets - 4 x 2 @ 60 kg, work sets 4 - 6 x 2 @ 90kg, 5 singles to max
Snatch - 4 x 3 @ 60kgs

Day 4: Snatch - Warmup sets - 3 x 3 @ 50kg, work sets 4-6 x 3 @ 60 - 70 kg, singles up to a max (current max snatch is 80 kg)
Cleans - 5 x 2 (90 kg)
Snatch Deads or High Pulls - 3 x 5

Day 5: Press - Warmups @ 50kg, 3 x 5 work sets trying to add weight every workout
Chins or Rows 3 x 10
hypers

Day 6: C & J - warmup sets - 4 x 2 @ 60 kg, work sets 4 - 6 x 2 @ 90kg, 5 singles to max
Snatch - 4 x 3 @ 60kgs

Day 7: Press - Warmups @ 50kg, 3 x 5 work sets trying to add weight every workout
Chins or Rows 3 x 10
hypers

This sequence may occur and then start over through 8 or 9 days depending on my schedule. I am also doing daily shoulder rotational exercises and some flexibility work. Currently I am probably squatting 6 times per week in addition to the above work.I guess my question is whether or not I should try to continue to progress in this manner or switch to a higher volume squat program and try and make some more linear gains.

sorry for the long post. let me know what you think.

If you improved you squat by 15kg in a month or so why the hell would you change what your doing??

Btw instinctive training is what i believe alot of people on here do, myself included.

I guess I am probably jumping the gun a bit worrying about changing the way I’m doing things. it should be noted that until about 2 months ago I was only doing 2 - 3 workouts a week (squats, chins, dips, push press) at mostly maintanence levels, so I think that the 15kg jump is probably a result of extreme increases in frequency, as well as incorporating the classic lifts for the first time with any regularity.

that being said, instinctive training and frequent squatting is what I would prefer to keep doing as it keeps me more structured and honest with my training. I just want to make sure I am not selling myself short by not getting a little more out of a basic linear progression.

Keep doing what your doing. Your doing a lot of training and your PB’s mean your handling it fine :slight_smile:

Don’t fret, 15kg in a month is really good!

Koing

Update…

just hit 345lbs (15lbs PR) back squat on a day that when I warmed up with the bar I didn’t think I would be going much higher. There really is something working with every day squatting. I hit a PR 85 KG Snatch on Saturday as well. I just hope this isn’t taking too much of a toll on my knees.

as long as over a weekly period there is less or similar pain than the previous week I think you are fine. If it gets more painful then it becomes more and more risky