Squat problems

Gary E, no I don’t live in Europe. But the Olympic Training Center has the staff to help you. Your squat problem is a simple one to correct. It is a natural movement for the pelvis to “tuck under” as you squat. In our primitive days it was the only way to get close to the ground. Watch children in their early stages of walking. When they pick something off the ground or play in a sandbox they squat. And its butt to the floor. It’s only from watching their parents or siblings that they bend at the waist to pick things up. Squatting butt to the floor is a matter of re-learning the movement. Also, tight calfs and hip flexors may account for not getting into a deep squat position. I’m going to assume that these areas need to be addressed before you attempt a deep squat position. Stretch each area at least three minutes each. If the calfs are still short, you can place your heels on 5 or 10 lb plates and slowly wean yourself down to 2 1/2’s and finally to flat on the floor. If intrested I’ll go into further specifics as to getting into the deep position.

Bump

bump

I have a chronically (muscle strains/spasms) bad low back and I have always felt like it was pelvis related since chiropractor or general practitioner with x-rays have not been able to help. I have carefully read and reread this thread with the loads of great advice. My question, does it sound like I have the same structural problem as Gary?

My situation: It is generally uncomfortable with weight across my back and once 3/4 down it becomes increasingly painful. Yesterday on my final rep trying to get out of the hole I felt something on lower left side of back. Could I have leaned torso forward to push out and caused my pelvis rotate forcing obvious muscle strain? FWIW, when I sit for long periods it is uncomfortable to walk.

Depending on what you are out to do, rounding your back in good mornings can ok.
Chek out this link http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/GMOB.htm
Good mornings are an excellent choise, both for improving your squat and for building up the entire posterior chain.
Swallow your ego, practise with the bar only and slowly increase weight.
With your lowerback prob’s I would stick to the archback variety though!
Another explanation of the archback http://www.goheavy.com/forums/train/index.cgi/read/19780
Good luck in your training

Thanks for the advice.