T Nation

Squat Problem

When I squat heavy, my ass keep on moving to my left as I come up. Is there any way to stop this from happening? I assume this is a weakness somewhere but Im not sure where. I do full squats btw.

Stop shakin’ it for the girl in the corner.

Maybe you have a muscular imabalance that causes that. Consider trying Ian King’s Leg Limping series- it concentrates on single leg lifts that may help solve your problem.

Probably a muscle imbalance, like you said. Try taking a week off of HEAVY lifting (drop down to a weight where this doesn’t happen), and work on pushing evenly. See if that helps.

Could be tightness as well… Read hardcore streching!

You could also consult a Chiropractor (is it spelled right?) for some lower vertebrae imbalance. He will most likely take an x-ray of your body both from the front and from the side and you will see if there is really a problem.

[quote]harhar wrote:
When I squat heavy, my ass keep on moving to my left as I come up. Is there any way to stop this from happening? I assume this is a weakness somewhere but Im not sure where. I do full squats btw.[/quote]

Stretch out your adductors and IT band on the right side. Then, do activation work for the hip abductors on this side. See Mike and my “Get Your Butt in Gear” articles for specific examples. Mike also offered some good stretches in his recent flexibility piece.