Squat Problem

Hi all been a long time lurker and thought its about time to ask a question .

about 6-8 months ago started training for strength made some good progress in size and strength compared to what it was . My training has always been a bit of 2 steps forward 1 back I will make progress then something will be off and will have to drop back a bit . I have been following mobilitywod a lot to improve some of my mobility issues which has helped .

The main problem I am having is sitting back on my squats so i read some articles on here about box squats and have added them in 2 times a week it’s now made me realise just how turd my hamstrings and Glutes have been which makes me think I have been rather quad dominant on my squats for a while.

I Have been learning to sit back on my box squats shins past perpendicular but my main questions is I have taken a such a big deload( on already perthetic squat) to sort my box squat will my main squat sort its self out in time from box squats if i do it once a week or am i best to drop that right down as well and maybe relearn it again?

Any help would be great thanks guys

If you can get some vids up here, we would be better able to answer that question. But typically if your form sucks, it is best to spend some time re-learning.

I was a bit rushed for time on the squat day I realise that you would proberly want to see my upper back so if the video isn’t enough I will have another go .

You guys might think different but from what I see

1. Im not sitting back as I get deep i think im pretty quad dominant . I Have started box squating and doing GHR

2. not deep enough ?

Any help would be great

Thanks

I took a video as I was a little rushed for time its not great I guess you will want to see my upper back if you need another video to better judge i will have another go

From what I can see and this is a guess :slight_smile:

1. not sitting back enough im traveling forwards at the bottom I think im pretty quad dominant . I have started box squating and doing GHR to hopefully help.

2. im not going deep enough again working on this with mobility

Im sure you guys got some other stuff you can see

Any help would be great .

I took a video as I was a little rushed for time its not great I guess you will want to see my upper back if you need another video to better judge i will have another go

From what I can see and this is a guess :slight_smile:

1. not sitting back enough im traveling forwards at the bottom I think im pretty quad dominant . I have started box squating and doing GHR to hopefully help.

2. im not going deep enough again working on this with mobility

Im sure you guys got some other stuff you can see

Any help would be great .

Wow … that was pretty clever :confused: sorry for the multiple post on a work computer so very slow .

Do you compete in a suit or anything? Its my understanding that the sitting back, while important to think about doing a raw squat, is really more important for taking advantage of a suit during squat. Maybe I’m wrong… but whenever I feel in doubt about squating, I watch some Jim Wendler raw squat videos on youtube and try to mimic them.

Also it does look a little like your missing on depth

No I only lift raw . I had read some were that the sitting back was more for suits but have no real experience to go on . I have been watching a lot of videos just not sure if I should be strengthing hamies and glutes so I would have the strength to actually sit back.

[quote]worph123 wrote:
No I only lift raw . I had read some were that the sitting back was more for suits but have no real experience to go on . I have been watching a lot of videos just not sure if I should be strengthing hamies and glutes so I would have the strength to actually sit back. [/quote]

Of course you should strengthening your hams and glutes, they are instrumental in a good squat, and as with most people, they are probably under developed. I’ve been hammering my glutes hard twice a week for 6 months or so and my squat has been increasing very well.

I watched the video and you have poor ankle mobility. Start warming up with barbell back squat grip lunges. You will find that you cannot take a long step and touch your back knee to the ground. Practice doing these lunges before your squat workouts until you can do great deep lunges. This will teach you to use new muscles on your squat. You will also have to squat less weight at first.

Also, this will all take weeks and months to improve.

Not worried about how long it takes just want to do it right . Thanks for the help folks I will crack on with the ankle mobility glutes and hammies n in a couple of months get another vid up .

You’re almost there!

I recommend consciously forcing your knees outwards more, and let the weight sink you down a touch lower. Other than that there isn’t too much else I personally see wrong. I’m no expert though.