Squat Problem: Knee Caving & Bar Tilt

Hey. I’ve been having this issue for a while now, but it is prevelant as of the last few months. My squat Max is 325, but I’ve been working volume with lower weights for the last few months and have noticed that the bar tilts to the right side almost always, usually near the end of the set. As well, my right knee seems to cave. I have focused on single leg work, and mobility for the past two months, as well as actively pushing my knees out. I was just looking for more opinions on this issue, as I’d like to get it corrected before I start pushing heavier weights.

Thanks,

Chad

235x6 set 3/3 rpe 7 - YouTube YouTube videos just incase the attached didn’t work.

235x6 set 3/3 rpe 7 - YouTube YouTube videos just incase the attached didn’t work.

My knees used to cave in a lot about 7 months ago. I started pulling semi sumo and with my feet at a slight angle out I’d open my hips I guess you’d call it to get to the bar and bring it up the inside flat portion of my shin. By pulling that way, my knees no longer cave inward no matter what weight I’m squatting. Considering I don’t push for weight way above my max and haven’t missed a squat in about 2-2.5 months

That would probably help as I’m primarily a conventional puller.

It looks to me like your knees just move into their preferred position. I wouldn’t call it a collapse at all, to be honest. So, I wouldn’t worry too much.

If you really want to, flare your feet more. That’d force your knees to stay out. But, like I said, it doesn’t look like you need to worry.

1 Like

Okay cool. Any ideas on the bar tilt?

Good question.

It looks like your right hip rises faster than the left, which puts you at an angle. It doesn’t look like the bar tilts so much as you do.

How to fix it I have no idea I’m afraid.

Pointing your feet out can help to open up your hips but opening it up too wide for a narrow/medium stance can make it difficult to load up your hips. Instead of angling your feet out so that it’s easy for your knees to travel out, point your feet a bit more forward so that you have to force it out during the entire rep. If you need to widen your heels a bit to point your feet a bit more forward, then try that. It should help to keep your hips tighter going down and while in the hole.

Thanks guys. I’ll try pointing my feet forward more and see how that works out.

Any chance one leg is 1/4" longer than the other?

I do this sometimes and one leg is longer than the other. I think, for me though, it is just my dominant side is stronger than the other / I wrap one side better unintentionally. I say side and not leg as the squat is a whole body movement, bracing the abs, quads, hamstrings, glutes, etc, so I don’t know what muscle, if any, is the cause.

I will also say that with normal training and time it goes away.

squat form update. It seems to be getting better, and I have a lot more control of the bar.