T Nation

Squat Prep for Upcoming Meet

Hi All,
I’m looking for some input/direction. I took off about 16 years from the gym. I started PLing again about 1.5 years ago. I wanted to pull a 600 again at 198. Once I accomplished my goal I decided to compete. I entered a push/pull last year but only pulled. I was able to hit a 675 dl. Moving forward I want to do a full power meet in July. I just had ac joint surgery back in October. My bench goal for meet will be 400. I have my doubts but we’ll see. I squatted only 6 times last year. I hate legs!. I did however on 2 of those occasions hit a 405 for 2x5. A few weeks ago I wanted to see where my squat was. I ended up very happy with a 500 for 2x1. I had a little left so I am estimating I’m around a 525 or so. That is a little basic history.
I want to pull 750 this year. I just started the Coan Filipini DL program on Saturday. It seems to be a bear of a program. My lower back and CNS were shot the day after. I also didn’t follow the program. I added a few pounds and reps because ! felt strong. BAD MOVE! Any suggestions on how to train for squat? I’m 41, my lower back can only take so much! I pull on Saturdays and squat on Tuesdays. I was thinking of just starting 5x5 with 405 and adding a few pounds per week if possible as necessary until the meet. I have about 17 weeks so I believe that should be sufficient. My pull is my baby! The program I’m on now lasts 10 weeks. If I hit my mark of 750 I may just restart the program and run it 6 more weeks. I hope you guys have some suggestions. I just ask one thing please. Last time I posted about help I kept getting msgs from dudes that sell training programs and want to “train” you via the internet. I am not interested in buying anything! I would just like some personal opinions and suggestions from normal ED powerlifters. Thanks all, Mike

5x5 sounds like a good idea right now. In any case, you would want something that allows you to progress fast since you have barely been squatting at all, you can expect some quick gains. You might want to switch to something like 3x5 (repsxsets) when you get closer to the meet, maybe around 8 weeks out, get used to heavier weights.

I suggest sticking with 5x5 for a while, then moving on to 5x5 with ramped sets, and then finally a descending rep ramp (5/4/3/2/1, 6/6/4/4/2/2/1/1, 3/2/1 waves, etc.) to peak. Keep it simple and pick a rep scheme you enjoy, you should be able to make huge squat gains in that time. Twice a week is probably about right for that kind of training, but more is fine too.

I think you are right on the rep ranges! I can only squat once a week. Between pulling and old age my knees only take so much. I def appreciate the rep scheme though!