T Nation

Squat Pain Help?

Hi, first a little intro: I am age 21, a recreational powerlifter/strongman athlete (just like getting stronger, compete every once and a while) and I’ve been working to bring up my squat recently. Here’s the story: I squat shoulder width stance, rock bottom, ass to grass. Recently my hips (really like my inner groin, and mainly on my left leg) have been killing me when i squat.

Doesnt hurt doing anything else, simply squats and starts to hurt when i do anything over like 135. It doesnt hurt so much that its debilitating, in fact I can still push close to 300 (my peak at end of last training cycle was 345 and I am halfway through this coming cycle). Really it doesnt hurt all that much and I can continue to train but its preventing me from really pushing it, just because I am scared of it (want to make 405 by the end of this cycle).

My question is: any ideas on how to take care of it? my ideas so far have been foam roller and tennis ball work (from the soft tissue work for tough guys article) and that seemed to help a bit, but it didnt go away. I also want to maybe correct some postural issues I might have, but I dont really know where to look (any ideas?) and any other help you guys might think of would be appreciated.

Also, for some odd reason it hurts less when I wear a belt, which is weird as the pain is in my groin), again, any ideas? any help is appreciated

There’s a lot of stuff that goes on in thar. For my groin injury, the only cure was lengthy hip flexor stretches each night and snatch-grip deadlifts from a platform (really ATG).

I’d read this article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=299const2

[quote]hareboll wrote:
Hi, first a little intro: I am age 21, a recreational powerlifter/strongman athlete (just like getting stronger, compete every once and a while) and I’ve been working to bring up my squat recently. Here’s the story: I squat shoulder width stance, rock bottom, ass to grass. Recently my hips (really like my inner groin, and mainly on my left leg) have been killing me when i squat.

Doesnt hurt doing anything else, simply squats and starts to hurt when i do anything over like 135. It doesnt hurt so much that its debilitating, in fact I can still push close to 300 (my peak at end of last training cycle was 345 and I am halfway through this coming cycle). Really it doesnt hurt all that much and I can continue to train but its preventing me from really pushing it, just because I am scared of it (want to make 405 by the end of this cycle).

My question is: any ideas on how to take care of it? my ideas so far have been foam roller and tennis ball work (from the soft tissue work for tough guys article) and that seemed to help a bit, but it didnt go away. I also want to maybe correct some postural issues I might have, but I dont really know where to look (any ideas?) and any other help you guys might think of would be appreciated.

Also, for some odd reason it hurts less when I wear a belt, which is weird as the pain is in my groin), again, any ideas? any help is appreciated[/quote]

Don’t be overly determined to finish your cycle. Being hard-headed can lead to a problem for life. Take a week off, then do a week of ridiculously light work and start building from there. Also start working in some mobility work in your warm-up, if you are not already.

If it comes back after that, you should probably see a doctor.

thanks for the help so far guys, that groin article especially, I totally missed that and it explains some of the reasons WHY i might be having pain there, also the promise of increased squat poundages are tempting.

And yea, I’ve never been SOO into finishing a cycle that I would risk injury to do so, but this pain has kinda been nagging at me for a while and I’d like to take care of it as fast as possible and maybe in time to put up some nice numbers, I’ll be smart about it though.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
and snatch-grip deadlifts from a platform (really ATG).[/quote]

and holy crap I dont know if i can bunch up that far :slight_smile: