Thanks for having T-Nation out here as an awesome resource. I tried looking these 2 particular problems up, but I can't seem to find an answer.
I'm trying to get strong (been doing MMA/Endurance Sports too long) and I want to keep my conditioning. So I've been following SL5x5 and later Crossfit Football w/ some light running thrown in here an there. I try to keep the Metcons heavy / short, and make sure they aren't too crazy.
No Ego, I started my Squats all over, and did them deep, eventually peaking at 225# 5RM in November with SL5x5 and its still there 3 months later with CFFB! While all my other lifts keep making linear progressions, my Back Squat won't budge.
This Monday, I finally broke through and did 3x5 sets of 235#, all below parallel. The next day I hit the deadlifts. I took a rest on Wednesday. I came back today and... Got stuck at the bottom after 1 rep on 240#, then got stuck on 235# after 1 rep, then I got stuck on 205# after 2 reps! It's like someone sent me back in time to six months ago!
My questions are:
1) What the hell will suck 40 lbs out of your 5RM in 3 days? I sleep 6-7 hours and eat pretty well (D-Fac food). I sleep the same amount as my shift mates and we all follow the same program, they haven't had issues.
2) Why doesn't my Back Squat improve? I really find some of my stats odd, especially that I can DL WAY more than Back Squat and my Front Squat is almost the same as my Back Squat. But I hit the Back Squat more than anything else!
Bench: 225# 5RM
Overhead Press: 155# 5RM
Front Squat: 225# 5RM
DeadLift: 315# 5RM (335# with wraps)
Power Clean: 215# 3RM
****Back Squat: 235# 5RM (Very recent... very temporary PR)****
Box Jump: 42"
I suspect something is wrong with my form, or I have a serious imbalance somewhere. I always get stuck in the hole during back squats. Yet my guys all say my form is pretty much identical to theirs, and they've been making linear gains and for the most part left me behind on squat day (really kind of embarrasing). But I keep up with everything else!
My main problem seems to be getting stuck in the bottom position at rep 1 any time I try to move past 225#. The bar feels like its folded me down, and I literally get my chest glued to my quads. I try all sorts of things, like looking up, lifting barefoot, and low bar, but I keep getting stuck. Is this an indication of a weakness in part of my Posterior Chain? Why then can I DL/Front Squat/Box Jump so much more? Everyone else seems to be able to go down and spring back up, even on the heavies. I cant even do that when I push 135#!
Since I'm in Afghanistan, I cant really post videos. The best I can do is describe my form ( or at least what my buddies tell me I'm doing).
On my form:
1) Feet a a little more than shoulder width apart, toes out.
2) Low bar.
3) Looking slightly above horizon.
4) Try my hardest to stick my butt out the entire time. (Get that Lombardic Curve)
5) ***My guys say that my shoulders droop down after 3 or 4 reps.
6) I get stuck on the bottom (below parallel) even on light weights, and have to fight my way up. I just cant seem to go right back up.
Thanks guys, and sorry this is so long... I got no other way to get my message out (super slow/limited internet for videos)! Maybe I'll have someone take pics of me if all this info isn't enough.