T Nation

Squat Layer Frequency

Hi CT,

I by know means want to frankintstein your layer program but would it be possible to perform a squat layer workout twice a week in a 5 day split? I know you are looking to go back to olympic lifting and i wondered how you were planning to up squat volume/frequency to taylor the program towards olympic lifting performance.

Many Thanks

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

I by know means want to frankintstein your layer program but would it be possible to perform a squat layer workout twice a week in a 5 day split? I know you are looking to go back to olympic lifting and i wondered how you were planning to up squat volume/frequency to taylor the program towards olympic lifting performance.

Many Thanks[/quote]

No it would not be possible. One of the rules I’m VERY strict on is that you need to do at least 2 high pull sessions a week. These hit the lower body pretty well. So adding 2 squats workouts on top of that would be too much, not to mention that it leaves only one pressing workout on a 5-ways split.

2 high pull days + 2 pressing days + 1 squat day would be acceptable… I only have one hard squat session a week. I do some lighter squats at the end of a high pull session.

Can high pulls be replaced by hip snatches?

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Can high pulls be replaced by hip snatches?[/quote]

For overall athletic ability and power production, yes.

For muscle-building, no. But hip snatches can be added at the end of a high pull session for 3-4 sers of 3-5 reps.

CT,

When you officially start training for Olympic lifting, assuming you haven’t already, I do hope that you post your workouts. I would be very interested in how you structure an Olympic lifting routine based on your new system. Unless this is a trade secret and you’re planning on coming out with a new book.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
CT,

When you officially start training for Olympic lifting, assuming you haven’t already, I do hope that you post your workouts. I would be very interested in how you structure an Olympic lifting routine based on your new system. Unless this is a trade secret and you’re planning on coming out with a new book.[/quote]

Right now I’m in practice mode. Basically it means that I’m re-learning the lifts, doing them every day with moderate weights. I think I’ll be ready to go in 1-2 weeks.